Why won't Patriot Viper Steel Series 4400Mhz post on Gigabyte Vision G at rated speeds?

Associate
Hi guys I've always been a little confused as to why my ram won't post anything above 4000Mhz on my Vision G (F7C BIOS)?

I have the following:

Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
Intel 10900K @ 5.1Ghz 1.35v manual voltage Turbo LLC on Phanteks Glacier CPU block
Radeon 5700XT with EK block
32GB Viper Steelseries 4400Mhz DDR4 (4x 8GB) @ 4000 (18-18-18-38 CR2)
Samung 970 NVME 256GB System disk
Crucial MX500 2TB

Phanteks 719 Luxe
Custom watercooling with 2x triple rads

When I originally got the ram I thought it was bad as I couldn't get the system to post. At all.

Eventually, with a CMOS reset, and a lot of time wasting I discovered that the ram wouldn't go above 3600Mhz. I then began tweaking the timings and have reached 18-18-18-38 CR2 at 4000mhz.

I'd really like the lowest possible latency and increasing the clock cycle of the ram seems to make a huge difference in this regard according to the memory benchmark in AIDA64.

Its clearly rated at 4400Mhz but even if I set this (along with the timings recommended by Patriot which is 19-19-19-39) I can't get the system to boot.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance!

Associate
I can't be much help with this specific setup, but having tried three sets of Viper Steel (4440, 4133 and 4000) in a Ryzen system, it's possible they're actually a bit random in terms of quality.

Still: should be B-die. What vDIMM are you using?

Associate
OP
I can't be much help with this specific setup, but having tried three sets of Viper Steel (4440, 4133 and 4000) in a Ryzen system, it's possible they're actually a bit random in terms of quality.

Still: should be B-die. What vDIMM are you using?

Hey Philo-sofa thanks for the reply - I've set it at 1.45v but have tried higher voltage (1.5v) and still no dice.

Associate
Hey Philo-sofa thanks for the reply - I've set it at 1.45v but have tried higher voltage (1.5v) and still no dice.
Hmmm, I think there should also be a voltage control for the CPU memory controller on an Intel ten series, but I don't its name off by heart.

Suggest that's the next stop in trying to get this sorted; however someone else may be able to give better advice.

Associate
They were qualified as 2 DIMMS at those speeds, not 4 like you are running.
Also, it is not uncommon for memory manufacturers to qualify their memory at certain speeds with single DIMM in the system while selling it in pairs, and sometimes they qualify them on one or 2 ultra high end motherboards, but forget to announce that fact.
I can see that Patriot has bigger list of various motherboards, but still I think whoever is qualifying them, they know ins and outs of memory voltages and timings as well as BIOS settings, which do not get saved in XMP profiles. All it takes for them to quickly change one value, and they know how that value change influences their memory, while when we are changing values in BIOS majority of time we are doing it through trial and error, or just guessing :D
I also wonder if they run full set of memtest86 tests to check stability, or if they just do quick ala 1usmus memtest

Associate
OP
They were qualified as 2 DIMMS at those speeds, not 4 like you are running.
Also, it is not uncommon for memory manufacturers to qualify their memory at certain speeds with single DIMM in the system while selling it in pairs, and sometimes they qualify them on one or 2 ultra high end motherboards, but forget to announce that fact.
I can see that Patriot has bigger list of various motherboards, but still I think whoever is qualifying them, they know ins and outs of memory voltages and timings as well as BIOS settings, which do not get saved in XMP profiles. All it takes for them to quickly change one value, and they know how that value change influences their memory, while when we are changing values in BIOS majority of time we are doing it through trial and error, or just guessing :D
I also wonder if they run full set of memtest86 tests to check stability, or if they just do quick ala 1usmus memtest

Yes, I had also wondered this.

Well, I had just the one pair originally of this memory (totaling 16GB) but I recently added another pair. I couldn't get the RAM to boot at rated speeds even when just using two sticks :(

Associate
I have a 10850k, MSI Unify and the same as you 32gb of the same, I get the same trouble as you, its not having it @ 4400, but I haven't really played much with it I got it going @ 4000 @ CL 17 and left it at that, new monitor arriving today after that system pretty much finished and i'll get around to OC etc.

Associate
This is going to sound silly but are you using the XMP profile or are you manually trying to set the timings to19-19-19-39?
You don't mention using the XMP profile in the OP and just trying to input primary timings without the correct secondary timings could easily be leading to a failure to POST

Associate
OP
This is going to sound silly but are you using the XMP profile or are you manually trying to set the timings to19-19-19-39?
You don't mention using the XMP profile in the OP and just trying to input primary timings without the correct secondary timings could easily be leading to a failure to POST

Hey man thanks for reply - the XMP profiles don't post. At all.

Here is what I'm currently running (and is stable):

https://app.photobucket.com/u/hughythomas/p/c445d2a8-da2c-4b20-915a-2284f42c0357

Back
Top Bottom