why would someone rent a boiler?!

Soldato
I'm trying to recoup some cash and listed my used boiler on a well known website...

I got an email today where someone asked me if I would be willing to rent my boiler to them via some website that includes insurance

Wth? Why would they want this. Is this a well known scam? I'd like to know how they get money out of this

Soldato
OP
I told him give me £350 (that is the listed price) and you can rent it for as long as you like!

Rent boiler, tamper with it, blows house up, $$$$$$$$

ah I see what you mean now! That is so far fetched
who the hell has time in life to do all of that!?

I bet there are some terms and conditions on that website that could land someone in trouble

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
I'm not saying that's the case, but it is definitely something to consider. The only boiler hire I can think of is massive ones the size of shipping containers used to temporarily heat buildings when their existing ones are being replaced / upgraded.

Soldato
OP
I'm not saying that's the case, but it is definitely something to consider. The only boiler hire I can think of is massive ones the size of shipping containers used to temporarily heat buildings when their existing ones are being replaced / upgraded.

but its like 16C outside... lol

I really didn't get it I asked him why he would want to rent this for I bet he won't reply.

Man of Honour
Could be one of those people who can't get loans and always in debt - they come up with some crazy ways to get a cash advance - sometimes with unrealistic but intentions of paying the person back. For instance in this case they'd immediately sell the boiler (or any item) on then pay you back in dribs and drabs (or not at all).

People used to do it on ebay a lot - sell a non-existent item, get the money with the "intention" of then paying it back.

Commissario
Tell him he can rent your boiler but he'll have to pay for the pipes to be fitted from where it is located now (in your garage, shed, whatever) to his house and that the pressure might be a bit low by the time the water reaches him.

Back
Top Bottom