Why you don't buy bad PSU's

Soldato
After having looked around on forums a lot about different PSU's and their OEM's I heard that the company Diablotek make some shocking ones that compare to fireworks ;)

Needless to say this review was the first I saw:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=187

And I was scared :p
So the email to the company was sent asking if they supplied any decent ones :D

The reply came back :rolleyes:

Thank you for your inquiry; this particular model you're inquiring about is an old series which we no longer carry. We offer better quality cases and power supplies which you will be able to find at .... You may check out our PHD, DA, or UL series and hope you will find one to your liking

So out went the review search to turn up :eek:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/12/17/diablotek_phd650_650w_power_supply_review/9

This be a lesson to those thinking of buying a cheap PSU like:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-062-OP&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1709;)

Hope you enjoyed the read. :) lol

Last edited:
Use to run a nice cheap £20 400W few years back.

One day, I hear a tick tick tick coming from inside the case.

The most logical thing to mind at the time was to put my head inside to see/listen where it was coming from.

Tick Tick Tick.........

Boom!

Nice load of flames in my face.

I buy cheap, No Longer.

Soldato
OP
Came here expecting some sort of video showing one exploding in a massive fireball...

I can find some if you wish. There are some vids of these PSU's exploding.

Also got a reply back when I showed them that review, they basically gave me links to reviews would anyone like to see them xD

"This was better (dual fans) than what I could buy at a local computer superstore in the USA, and it was less than 1/3 of the cost."

"I purchased this PSU, and received it today, I put it in fires right up, Nice and quiet and seems to run nice and cool. the cables are plenty long for any setup I can think of, If I run into any problems I will update this."

As such my reply was simple:

I am not interested in user reviews as they are not real reviews just opinions from people using the power supply.

Soldato
It's crazy how much damage a poor quality PSU can do when it gives up the ghost! :(

Speaking of Ghost - how's the review of the Bitfenix case they sent coming on Bacon? any progress yet? Looking forward to your thoughts! :)

Soldato
I had a Hiper Type-R 580W and I was lucky - I only lost an SSD the first time I asked it to provide over 400W. Now I try to limit myself to PSUs that people don't duck for cover when I mention their names. :D

Ah! Hiper, had two of those Type R 580W, both caught fire, the second nearly burnt down my workshop.:eek:

Always buy a well known make, corsair, Antec Bequiet, etc, avoid buying generic psu's otherwise you will have an expensive repair bill.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can find some if you wish. There are some vids of these PSU's exploding.

I have seen some videos of them 'exploding' but they are always a bit underwhelming.

Some of the more spectacular ones look like people have been tinkering around with them to make the fail.

Last edited:
Associate
my kingwin mach1 600w was quite a looker, so my novice brain assumed it would be half decent, ended up creating arc lightning inside my case one day!
I got super lucky, and all my components survived the ordeal, but it definitely taught me a lesson, I bought a Corsair HX850 the next week.
I now refuse to build any of my friends a computer with a substandard PSU

Soldato
OP
It's crazy how much damage a poor quality PSU can do when it gives up the ghost! :(

Speaking of Ghost - how's the review of the Bitfenix case they sent coming on Bacon? any progress yet? Looking forward to your thoughts! :)

Its in 2 parts :) Im editing the second ebcause I thought having 8 parts of an conclusion and scoring was a bit much... ;)

Just to give you an idea though, its a good case but the silencing foam doesnt work very well and has bad cable management.

Associate
Rather than start a new thread, this seems like an appropriate place to post this.

He doesn't name and shame the make, and frankly there isn't enough left to identify it either, but it's a stark reminder of what a cheap PSU can do.

Associate
Rather than start a new thread, this seems like an appropriate place to post this.

He doesn't name and shame the make, and frankly there isn't enough left to identify it either, but it's a stark reminder of what a cheap PSU can do.

he should name and shame the make though, imagine that had happened when his son fell asleep!

Soldato
Hi, for me your PSU is the most important piece of equipment ie: system reliabilty, stable overclocking, etc. l paid about £150 for Corsair HX850 nearly 4 years ago[see sig] and never had any problems at all, still running the same rig with just memory and GPU upgrades.

Do not sqimp on your PSU if it means waiting a couple of weeks till you have the money do so.

Back
Top Bottom