why

Permabanned
if japan can get every home user on a sustainable 100mbit home connection to the internet, howcome the UK cant, yet theres more people in the UK and higher taxes. Discuss.

Associate
Since adsl is essentially an unreliable service it keeps lots of people employed by BT and makes huge profits. As well as, the rollout of fibre in this country would cost a fortune and make the service reliable, thus profits would be non existent....simple capitalism really

Caporegime
eracer2006 said:
if japan can get every home user on a sustainable 100mbit home connection to the internet, howcome the UK cant, yet theres more people in the UK and higher taxes. Discuss.

one word

BT

BT for a long time had a monopoly. When theres no competition, theres no drive to innovate and push the envelope. When your customers have no choice but to use you, you have no need to spend millions on new technologies

Japan havent had this, their telecom industries have been innovating right from the start, hence why they got on the development train a lot earlier.

Soldato
So what do all these large companies who can't be bothered to push for real innovation and expand do with all their big profits? When a company gets to a certain size it should be their duty to improve living standards and not waste/sit on all their profits.

Permabanned
the lines BT have a not upto the job off even 8mb in some parts of the Uk (Yorkshire i belive to be 2mb top end)

So thats problem no.1

Problem 2

Cable !! (Yuck)
again can only (for some weid reason) only go upto 10mb :confused:

Me personal think its cos no one wants to invest money into good servers that can handle the extra work load

Also why would you need more then say 1mb if you only look at web pages ??

Yes 100mb super fast would be nice and handy for music downloads ect
but the websites would still download to your pc at the same speed as a 512kps line

So in a nut shell

you want good Broadband speeds in the UK go cable (yuck)
Or satelite (if u dont know what i mean post below and ill do my best to explain)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
FENIXfatboy said:
cable (yuck)

Why is cable 'yuck'? :confused: :confused:

I'm with Telewest on a 10mb connection, and have had had VERY few problems in the years and years I have been with them. I can consistantly get my full line speed, and it's not capped or shaped in any form, no matter how much I download (~300gb/month). They will be rolling out 20mb and 50mb services soon.

I'll take my 'yuck' cable over any DSL connection thanks.

Permabanned
DreXeL said:
Why is cable 'yuck'? :confused: :confused:

I'm with Telewest on a 10mb connection, and have had had VERY few problems in the years and years I have been with them. I can consistantly get my full line speed, and it's not capped or shaped in any form, no matter how much I download (~300gb/month). They will be rolling out 20mb and 50mb services soon.

I'll take my 'yuck' cable over any DSL connection thanks.

Ive had a few probs am on the basic 2mb and had probs with the tech guys for a start
but what i found silly was i could not reg the modem all because i cancelled the DD on the acount (how silly is that)

Am a fan of Adsl but am growing to like cable again
was on it in the past when broadband first came out and had probs then but i must say its growing on me

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I hope the "next gen" BT network does more to improve speed for all.

I have to say, being stuck at 1.5MB is not a fun experience when other people are paying the same and are spouting off how good 8MB is :rolleyes:

Soldato
EVH said:
I have to say, being stuck at 1.5MB is not a fun experience when other people are paying the same and are spouting off how good 8MB is :rolleyes:

I feel your pain. I'm on 2.5Mbps and BT in India say I can't get above 1Mbps.

The problem with all these other ISP is BT own the network. Sure, orange and AOL and Tiscally can sell broadband but if it breaks down BT has to fix it because they own the network. Bt will not improve homes untill all buisness that buy off BT are on 2Gbps.

Sucks to be in the UK.

Soldato
eracer2006 said:

"Every home user" is a load of rubbish. From wilkapedia "7.15 million FTTH connections are reported in September, 2006" so 7.15m connections for a country with 128m people so if every home had a connection then has 18 people per house :eek:

Most of japans internet usage is national and not international and therefor lower costs (mb wise).

Also how does Japans population 127,463,611 (July 2006 est.) be less than UK Population Population: 60,609,153 (July 2006 est.)

Higher taxes? Well the work tax rate is roughly the same however yes VAT is lower (5% odd)

Also putting "Discuss." at the end of your statment is really annoying!

Last edited:
Soldato
eracer2006 said:

IIRC Japan have a fibre wire network setup or something, rather than horrible metal lines like we have.

Associate
triggerthat said:
Places who have a dramatically higher connection are the countries who invested into high bandwith transmission years ago. That's my thoughts.

True. Its just basically down to countries who took the initiative years ago to invest in fibre networks. For example, Sweden. They go from anything like 8mb - 100mb.

But i do agree with the person who said it would be a hassle to lay fibre up and down Britain not to mention the costs. Look how many cable providers there are compared to ADSL, its practically Virgin (since the buyover/merge) vs Hundreds of ADSL providers.

I can only see one service that will consistently expand in the future - unless we start seeing ultra high speed cable rolled out anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom