Wi-Fi issues on an overclockers pre build

Associate
I recently purchased this pre build which arrived today. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-gaming-fsg-essential-1080p-pre-built-gaming-pc-fs-1d3-ep.html

The only issue (aside from the fact they failed to include a kettle plug) is that my wi fi speeds have been so low as to render the pc unusable. I’m getting speeds in the single digits, sometimes as low as 1 or 2 mbps. Other devices in my home are getting the full 30-40 that I usually get, so I’m pretty sure the fault lies with the pc. I occasionally get a spike of about 20 or so although this doesn’t last more than a few minutes.

I have tried everything I can think of so far, including downloading updated drivers for the network card, uninstalling the adapter in device manager, downloading all windows updates etc but nothing has worked. One thing I’ve noticed is that there is no antenna attached to the pc. Aren’t the network cards supposed to have external antennas, is it possible they forgot to include these as well, or should or go out and buy some myself?

The router is only a couple of rooms away but I haven’t got an Ethernet cable long enough so I haven’t tried that yet, but has anyone got any other suggestions as to why I’d be getting such poor wi fi speeds?

Soldato
You're right, if it doesn't have a built in antenna then it should have an external antenna, which is probably what is causing the issue. MIght be worth reaching out to them?

Soldato
A couple of rooms + WiFi generally isn’t ideal. A couple of rooms + WiFi with a budget dongle with inbuilt antennae that’s ineffective is a recipe for poor speeds and unhappy customers. To eliminate hardware move the PC closer to the router (same room) and test. If it works, it’s a WiFi signal issue and you can stop messing on. I would suggest just ordering a suitable cable and running it is a much better use of your time though.

Associate
OP
The description of '300Mbps Wireless-N WIFI card' points to it being very low end.

Can you identify what make/model the adapter is?

Yeah it's "ASUS PCE-N15 300mbps wireless N PCI-E Adapter"

I remembered I had a BT Wi-Fi disc that I wasn't using so I've got that set up in the same room as the pc, connected with an ethernet cable which has improved the speed massively. However I did a speed test when I was still using Wi-Fi and I was still getting low speeds so it feels as though somethings not right.

Associate
OP
Yeah thats what I thought. Apparently network cards can have internal atennas so I just assumed thats why they were missing, but it does seem like that model is supposed to have external ones. Guess I'll have to email them.

Quite disappointing that they have forgotten to include two parts, considering I paid a grand for the pc. Thankfully the actual pc itself seems to be ok, and the two bits missing I have managed to find solutions for today. Still a bit fustrating when things arent included when they are supposed to be, I mean there is literally a sheet with all the items that are supposed to be included, so it's a bit annoying someones managed to miss out two of them.

Associate
OP
Did you get the motherboard box with the PC? Are they in there, or in any other packaging as they wouldn't fit them whilst shipping?

And the kettle plug?

There was nothing in the box at all other than the pc itself and a bit of packaging. I ordered something else at the same time but there was nothing in there for my pc either. Good job I had a spare kettle plug otherwise I would have had to go out today and get one, or order one and be unable to use my pc for a few days. Not great either way, and the wifi was so bad I literally couldnt use my pc this afternoon. Not ideal at all really.

Man of Honour
There was nothing in the box at all other than the pc itself and a bit of packaging. I ordered something else at the same time but there was nothing in there for my pc either. Good job I had a spare kettle plug otherwise I would have had to go out today and get one, or order one and be unable to use my pc for a few days. Not great either way, and the wifi was so bad I literally couldnt use my pc this afternoon. Not ideal at all really.
Post in the customer service thread tonight with your order number and problem you'll get a faster response there :)

Back
Top Bottom