widescreen tft" 24" do you need a fast pc/graphics card if you go big

Associate
i really cant make up my mind ive got enough money to buy the new samsung "22" but really would like a 24 just to be greedy lol im sure it will fit on my desk

but i dont want to go large if my system cant handle it i would prefer to get a 22 and have good game play,+watching dvds than going large and not having such a good performane

my system is pretty good but i do have problems playing quake 4 and doom 3 im sure its not a harware fault more of a conflict but cant be sure

with the dell 24 you have better viewing angles which would be good

specs:
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
AMD Athlon 64 3700 Skt 939
GeIL 1GB
XFX GeForce 6800 GT

what do you think is best

Last edited:
Soldato
I really don't think you'll be satisfied with a 6800GT and 22'' WS resolutions man:(
get an X1950PRO!

Associate
OP
really ive been chatting to a mate who works in a computer shop and they have been saying get a tft widescreen knowing what i have, maybe im not going to ask for advice from that shop again

Associate
The 24" Dell is high resolution but you will have no problems displaying the desktop at native 1920x1200. Games are another matter but it is VERY good at upscaling say 1280x1024 up to full screen so I say go for it and future proof yourself. You will, eventually, get a new graphics card and then you'll kick yourself ;)

Associate
OP
yes i was thinking on those lines at the moment i do need a better monitor and at a later date much later i will get another card

also with the card i have now will it be ok to watch dvds or will it be the same as gaming

im not happpy with my nvidia at the moment like i said i have issues with doom and quake,i dont know if it has anything to do with my card, i was thinking about going over to ati, at least then i will know if its something else thats causing the problems

Associate
It will play DVD's fine but I do find that, due to the high native res, they can look at bit blocky when full-screened. Suppose it's down to the mastering of the DVD and the software you're playing it with.

Still, bodes well for those lovely 1080p Blu-Ray movies when they arrive :D

Associate
OP
decensions decensions ill have to think hard what i want to do go large or not,also how much are we looking at to buy a new ati gfx

Associate
Hi,
I have a similar system to yours, except the graphics card :

Asus A8N-SLI Premium
AMD Athlon 64 3700 Skt 939
GeIL 2GB
1950Pro 512

Nothing overclocked as only just built it.

22" Belinea

I can run BF2 on high settings with aa @ 1680x1050, as well as far cry maxed out at the same res, and get excellent framerates even at these settings.

I think it'd be worth it upgrading the card as well as the monitor to get the most from the monitor. Im very happy with the image quality and monitor.

I recommend the belinea, and maybe the extra cash you save could be put towards the card (card should be about £140 or so, less if u go 2nd hand)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i see you have geil 2gb ive only got geil 1gb so i would have thought that would have made a big difference

also yea i would buy both but at the moment i can only buy one thing untill i find a better job :rolleyes: lol

out of interest what ati card should i get

edit:just seen your edit lol i would be buying new card not second hand

Associate
I got the following :

HIS ATI Radeon X1950 Pro ICEQ 3 TURBO SILENT Heatpipe 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (H195PRQT512DD-R)

Currently £158 from this site.

The Belinea was £211

Not sure but if you're looking at the 24" Samsung from this site, it's over £700!!!

Not sure if the extra £500 is worth it for 2" (although the missus might disagree!!!)

I'd settle for a 22", new card and quite a few nights outon the beer!!!!!

** EDIT ** And another gig of memory!

22" screen are still a very big screen, and less graft for your system when running native.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
cheers i thought a better card would cost a lot more thats put a :) on my face

if i was going to get a 24 it was going to be the dell 2407WFP

Associate
Got the 2405PFW and it's one of the best purchases of my life!

I can only assume the newer 2407 is even better.

Even used to play my 360 on it and it looked amazing!

Associate
OP
wilders said:
I got the following :

HIS ATI Radeon X1950 Pro ICEQ 3 TURBO SILENT Heatpipe 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (H195PRQT512DD-R)

Currently £158 from this site.
just looked at that one seems thats the one im going to get i might aswell wait a bit longer and buy the tft aswell but im going to get a "24"dell

at a later stage ill upgrade my ram to 2gb

im not going to have a power issue am i ive got a hiper 580wpsu
twin 12v lines with plenty of ampage on there.

ive only had my pc for 2years and im allready upgrading :eek:

edit:im going to buy the card this week :) so thanks for the card advice

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys sorry to jump in but with my spec below will I be able to run a Dell 2407WFP 24" with all the eye candy on? Say COD2/BF2 etc?

Or would I have to take it down a bit??

Think I'm going to order one next week so.............

Back
Top Bottom