WiFi calling - Samsung Galaxy S6 EE

Soldato
I've been using this at work for about 6 months without any issues. Since yesterday though it's stopped working. I no longer see the WiFi calling icon next to the standard WiFi symbol.

I've turned the option on and off a few times, rebooted the phone with it enabled and disabled but no joy. Colleagues can still use this feature on their EE Galaxy phones without problem so it looks to be an issue with the phone. It's on the latest firmware/software and I've not changed any settings. Unable to test it at home as we've just moved house and we've not had internet connected yet.

Any ideas?

Soldato
I've had occasional issues with WiFi calling on my S6 through Vodafone. I've usually had to go into my account manually and disable it. Then reactivate it, wait for the confirmation text and then within 12hrs it is usually up and running again.
Vodafone support are a waste of time - they all tell me WiFi calling isn't available on the S6, despite their website saying it is and the fact it had been working. The staff in the Vodafone stores tell me the same :)
Last time I lost WiFi calling was after the Nougat update, ut above method got it working again.

Soldato
Voda use a different implementation of wifi calling to EE. The option in Voda firmwares is typically in the Android call app. (Call app > settings > wifi calling > on/off). I Left me EE tester in the office but it will typically be there or in settings (use the search option in settings to find it if you have nougat) depending on the manufacturer.

Soldato
Ah, sorry - looks like I sent you on a potential wild goose chase.
With Voda, I log into my online account and it is an account feature I can add/remove.
If I remove it I get a text telling me the feature has been removed. Then I add it back, get another text confirming its addition.
Then, under nougat I just browse:
Phone>Settings>WiFi Calling enable

Soldato
OP
No worries. I can get into the setting fine (Android 6.0.1 - the latest available at the moment) and it's enabled, it just doesn't work. I've toggled it on and off a few times but the icon no longer shows at the top of the phone by the normal WiFi symbol to confirm it's connected and working (and obviously I can't make or receive calls or send/receive texts).

Associate
check that wifi calling works on a wifi hotspot that you can control, at home perhaps?. It might be a re-configuring of the work firewall that is blocking it

Soldato
OP
I tried on a colleague's mobile hotspot but still no joy. I've spoken with our Infrastructure Manager and there haven't been any changes to the WiFi network, the one I connect to is a guest network with no firewall on it. In any case, two other guys on my team with EE Samsung phones (S6 Edge & S7) can both still use WiFi calling.

I spoke to EE and they went through a bunch of useless tests including checking the speed of the WiFi network and making sure WiFi calling was turned on (!!) and are now suggesting I back up the phone and restore to defaults before they'll assist further.

Back
Top Bottom