Wifi range extender - so many options... - Resolved.

Associate
Live in a townhouse, Virgin Media router (Hub 3.0) in mancave on first floor.

Basic TV in the lounge (next to mancave) with Amazon firestick connected, that worked fine.

Had a new extension build on the ground floor and bought my first smart TV (Samsung ue65nu7400) and that seems to connect to the internet ok-ish (no tv aerial downstairs) but it does need a few seconds to loads things sometimes.

Plugged in my fire stick in the new tv, and when trying to connect that to the internet it tells me the signal is 'marginal' and fails to connect most times.

Had a read online about renaming the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz band to give them both an individual name (so the stick doesn't keep trying to jump between both) but that didn't help. I can see them both in the list but both are shown as 'marginal' signal and won't connect.

Then tried to watch amazon prime through the tv (without the fire stick) but the picture quality was ****, so I guess i need to boost my wifi signal downstairs so the TV and firestick can connect better, and hopefully i'll also have a good wifi signal in the garden then as always struggled to connect the laptop in the garden (which is kinda where the new extension is now).

So, looking online there are a load of different types of wifi extenders.

Some website said this Argos 'TP-Link 300Mbps Wi-Fi Range Extender & Booster' for £ 18, was fine, and others recommend some £ 200, Netgear thing that uses the electrical sockets in the house.

Any suggestions/recommendations on what type I'd need to boost to signal to one floor below where the router is ? And does it have to be 2.4 or 5 ghz, or a certain minimal speed ?

Soldato
Get yourself a Netgear ORBI mate there not cheap at around £230 but they will solve your poor internet speeds on wifi.

Just put you virgin media hub into modem mode and use the ORBI for the wifi signal.

I have had many various wireless routers / signal boosters and even tried powerline adapters but the ORBI bests them all.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Will all powerlines in a house normally be connected in some way ?

KexPJuN.jpg

Our rooms are spread over 3 floors, with only the kitchen and new extension (where the new tv is) on the ground floor. I read something that the powerlines have to be "on the same ring", for this powerline range extenders to work, is there any way to test that somehow ?

Soldato
Will all powerlines in a house normally be connected in some way ?
Our rooms are spread over 3 floors, with only the kitchen and new extension (where the new tv is) on the ground floor. I read something that the powerlines have to be "on the same ring", for this powerline range extenders to work, is there any way to test that somehow ?

If the rings are connected at the circuit breaker it will work. Mine dont so I can only use powerline on the same floor.

btw I bought a TP-Link 500Mbps Wifi Extender for £20 and I use it in the garage had no problems. Had more problems with powerline. My Dad bought one too and he uses his in the garage/man cave.

Caporegime
Just buy a mesh system if you aren't gaming.

Orbit is expensive get Google Wi-Fi and stuck one on each floor.

The hub is crap and should only be used in modem only mode.

Associate
OP
Little update on this.

Thought i start with buying something cheap and then move up if it doesn't work, but it seems to have done the trick.

Bought this Netgear EX6150 Wifi range extender for £ 40, on Amazon and now the smart tv and fire stick get good connection and stream everything fine.

672578-704830-800.jpg

Done a few speed tests to see what difference it would make :

Main computer, connected via ethernet cable to the router :

1KhbUko.jpg

Laptop, on same floor as router but in different room :

FLxZBP8.jpg

Laptop next to new smart tv that was struggeling with streaming :

J36R9Zx.jpg

Laptop in same postion (by new smart tv), but now connecting to that wifi extender thing placed in the hallway on the ground floor :

SJlncFi.jpg

So download speed has more then doubled, and TV and firestick now work as they should, so thanks for the input people, I can now enjoy The Grand Tour in 4K on my new tv, yay!

Back
Top Bottom