WIFI Router for Virgin Media Hub 3

Associate
Hi all,

Looking to buy a WiFi router to use the virgin hub in modem mode as the Hub WiFi is not the best.

I also want to increase the number of Ethernet ports. I have looked at the TP-Link's Archer AX11000 but its massive and I dont think I have the room on my desk.

I have looked the TP-Link ARCHER AX50 NEXT-GEN WI-FI 6 AX3000 DUAL-BAND ROUTER and use a switch to increase the number of Ethernet ports.

Not fully sure how to go about this.

Thanks

Soldato
I'm in same boat(awful wifi) ordered an Asus RT-AC86U due to be delivered Thursday and an 8 port Netgear switch

You just put the Superdud 3 into modem mode then connect new router to 1 of the ports on dud 3 set up the new router then add your switch

Soldato
I'm in same boat(awful wifi) ordered an Asus RT-AC86U due to be delivered Thursday and an 8 port Netgear switch

You just put the Superdud 3 into modem mode then connect new router to 1 of the ports on dud 3 set up the new router then add your switch

Sadly you chose a router with known hardware issues that comes from a company with well documented history of having a ZFG approach to security. Generally if people have a wifi issue with an AIO router, the first consideration should be a centrally located AP, not another AIO router.

Soldato
Sadly you chose a router with known hardware issues that comes from a company with well documented history of having a ZFG approach to security. Generally if people have a wifi issue with an AIO router, the first consideration should be a centrally located AP, not another AIO router.

Seems SNB forums disagree with you and Merlin seems quite happy with router so I'll try it. if I'm not happy in 1st 30days it goes back .some people have had 2.4 wifi problems I'll wait and see

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems SNB forums disagree with you and Merlin seems quite happy with router so I'll try it. if I'm not happy in 1st 30days it goes back .some people have had 2.4 wifi problems I'll wait and see

SNB’s reviews are interesting, but unfortunately not without issues. Firstly they have history for crying wolf only to find out they cocked up the testing and then just ignored the issue and left it to the OEM to identify/document while they went somewhat quiet... they also only test products over a relatively short term (not at all unreasonable), the switch/AP dropping tends not to be a day 1 issue, but has been well discussed subsequently on most network orientated forums. Firmware wise I have a lot of respect for Merlin's work, it’s exposed enough WRT functionality for enthusiasts without getting OTT, but if you read some of his posts/release notes, he is quite aware of ASUS’s base firmware weaknesses/issues and has commented on them as diplomatically as possible. Given ASUS has legal judgements against it for faking FCC test data to gain certification and was forced to agree to fines/external auditing for decades over leaving known security CVE’s unpatched for *years* (it was only when a large international retail partner threatened to pull all affected products that they did anything), I wish you the very best of luck.

Soldato
SNB’s reviews are interesting, but unfortunately not without issues. Firstly they have history for crying wolf only to find out they cocked up the testing and then just ignored the issue and left it to the OEM to identify/document while they went somewhat quiet... they also only test products over a relatively short term (not at all unreasonable), the switch/AP dropping tends not to be a day 1 issue, but has been well discussed subsequently on most network orientated forums. Firmware wise I have a lot of respect for Merlin's work, it’s exposed enough WRT functionality for enthusiasts without getting OTT, but if you read some of his posts/release notes, he is quite aware of ASUS’s base firmware weaknesses/issues and has commented on them as diplomatically as possible. Given ASUS has legal judgements against it for faking FCC test data to gain certification and was forced to agree to fines/external auditing for decades over leaving known security CVE’s unpatched for *years* (it was only when a large international retail partner threatened to pull all affected products that they did anything), I wish you the very best of luck.

I try it out ...routers are a minefield . very little in my home use wifi vs wired so i didnt mess around with stuff every where

Back
Top Bottom