WiFi woes

Associate
Hi guys currently I have my WiFi router on the 3rd floor of my house connected to my pc and my PS4/switch on the ground floor and I was thinking of wiring myself a new ethernal cable from the router outside of the house and down to the ground floor now my question is will there be any speed lost doing this or would I be better of with WiFi extenders

Associate
As long as you are using a decent quality cable and it isn't too long (up to 100m), there wont be any speed loss.

Personally, I would run the cable and connect it to a wireless access point downstairs. Wireless extenders can cause congestion and have a big impact on your wireless bandwidth.

Associate
OP
As long as you are using a decent quality cable and it isn't too long (up to 100m), there wont be any speed loss.

Personally, I would run the cable and connect it to a wireless access point downstairs. Wireless extenders can cause congestion and have a big impact on your wireless bandwidth.
Well my plan was to run the cable downstairs and then connect it to a wireless router and then into the PS4/ connect the PS4 to a router

Thanks for the help:)

Soldato
Agreed @ChrisD. @dragonslayer if you have a spare router doing nothing but gathering dust then that's a decent way to not spend any money but you're essentially going to have to configure it to do just two of the many jobs it can do, namely be just a wired dumb switch and a wireless access point. i.e. turn off DHCP, NAT, etc. etc.

If you're going to buy something to achieve this then you'll have more flexibility and maybe better wireless performance downstairs by actually putting in a switch and a wireless access point instead as @Buffalo2102 said. It won't cost any more than buying a router either.

Back
Top Bottom