• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will a i7 920 bottleneck a GTX 680?

Associate
Will a i7 920 bottleneck a GTX 680 and how severe would the bottleneck be? If it will bottleneck, how hard will I need to overclock it before I see little to no bottleneck?

Associate
Will a i7 920 bottleneck a GTX 680 and how severe would the bottleneck be? If it will bottleneck, how hard will I need to overclock it before I see little to no bottleneck?

If it's at stock then yeah I would clock it to around 3.6GHz minimum for no bottleneck. Don't think at stock it would bottleneck a single 680 but I'd still clock your i7 above 3GHz definintely.

Associate
OP
Is 3.6 just a guesstimate or are there any articles you could show me that test it?

Thanks for the input

Associate
I dont know of any articles that compare clock for clock Vs possible bottlenecking of a 680.

Like I said, even at stock I doubt it would bottleneck a single 680 but I would still clock it all the same. 3.6GHz is a nice middle ground where it's not pushing the CPU but it's also giving it enough grunt. Clock speeds under 3.0Ghz can suffer at times.

Just buy the 680 and OC the CPU to 3.6GHz :D

Soldato
I can confirm is doesn't in BF3, 99% in single card mode. But when I enable SLI I am not so sure.

I think it's a mixture of CPU limit and driver support for bf3.

Back
Top Bottom