• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will an G92 8800GT/S be wasted on my system?

Caporegime
Hi Guys,

After some GFX buying advice since Ive got a couple of weeks off over Christmas (well deserved - trust me) and want to catch up with some gaming...

Anyway I heard about the G92 8800s and tempted to get one for my system but Ive got a nagging doubt that my system will just kill any performance increase I might get. My relevant specs are:

Opty 165 (need to o/c it properly - will hit 2.5Ghz)
2Gb RAM
DFI SLI-DR (not PCIe 2 spec)
OCZ Powerstream 520W (pre ATX 2 spec)
2405FPW

Definitely need to move from the temp X850XT PE I am using and it seems the ATI offerings just arent as good (bang for buck) - though Im happy to be corrected.

Just want the best card to complement my system and not be drastically slowed down by it. Will do a proper upgrade to C2D Quad next year...

Any ideas? Dont want to replace the PSU either atm...

Thanks

ps3ud0 :cool:

Caporegime
OP
Well its definitely going to be bought just to cover me until my main upgrade that Ive been delaying - say probably summer next year (waiting for Penryn). Good chance that Ill replace it but looking at the GFX market this year a G92 8800 might be still vaguely high-end still...

Should I just stump for the 8800GT or the GTS? Im mindful that the GT is overpriced and by the time it goes down Christmas will be over which is making me sway towards a GTS. Was only looking to spend around £200...

P.S. The nearer I can game to 1920x1200 the better :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Well the 8800GT will more than likely drop in price once the 8800GTS comes out. The performance difference between the two is minimal at best, but if you have the money and the price of the new GTS is around £200 (which i think it wont be), then go for the GTS. But if you can get a cheap 8800GT 512mb, not 256mb, then get the GT. They can be had for around £160 in places, and overclock very well to the new GTS speeds.

Soldato
Most games are limited by the graphics card these days so I doubt very much an Athlon dual-core at 2.5ghz will be limiting you. Remember the most important thing is the minimum framerate, which is mostly determined by your graphics horsepower. A faster processor may increase your maximum framerates but in all honesty I can hardly tell the difference after 60fps.

Caporegime
OP
The way I see it is I want the GFX card in the next week or so - 8800GTs wont be in stock at a good price and the GTS should be (just for tomorrow really) at a vaguely 'normal' price. Was tempted by the OcUK 8800GTX @ £240 but I think Ill lose a load on re-sale...

My spend limit is pretty open, but I want to make sure if I spend more money that I see a decent performance increase...

P.S. Any issues with my PSU or Mobo?

Last edited:
Associate
I'm just waiting to see how 'available' the 8800GTS is and if its in short supply or stupidly priced then I'll go for a GTX.

My Opty 185 and 4gb RAM should see me okay for another 6 months after that til the 9800's, Penryn etc have matured a bit and I do a complete rebuild. :p

Well thats the plan anyway today ;)

Soldato
I had a 7950GX2 (similar performance to the 8800GTS 640mb) on the end of a system comprising a DFI SLi-DR, 2gb of OCZ PC4000 and a Opteron 165 under a big typhoon @ 2.88ghz.

That rig returned a 3DMark06 score of 9331

When i moved to an intel setup with an e6600 @ 3.2ghz my score only moved up to 9700ish.

IMO you should upgrade and i wouldn't imagine you'd see much of a performance hit with your present rig. Especially at the res you game at (assuming 1920x1200) your gaming will be more GPU limited than CPU limited. :)

gt

Caporegime
OP
UT3, Crysis, COD4, Bioshock, Total Wars, HL2+ etc...

Mainly FPSs it seems - got a large back catalogue of games Ive not even installed - also got to get more use of my G25 too...

P.S. Cheers for the advice guys - when tomorrow is the GTS going to be on sale/off NDA?

Last edited:
Caporegime
UT3, Crysis, COD4, Bioshock, Total Wars, HL2+ etc...

Mainly FPSs it seems - got a large back catalogue of games Ive not even installed - also got to get more use of my G25 too...

P.S. Cheers for the advice guys - when tomorrow is the GTS going to be on sale/off NDA?

Around 1pm,

Caporegime
OP
Well it looks like Ive just got the Asus 8800GTS though I dont know if I nabbed it in time before all the stock went so fingers crossed...

It will do for me - effectively a compromise as I was gonna get the OcUK GTX but just missed out on the price...

I guess an Asus GTS is more sellable than an OEM GTX (thats what Im telling myself)...

Caporegime
OP
Woot mine has been too!!! Should be here tomorrow - though cant install until weekend - hope my system can take it...

Slightly worried about my PSU since it seems to be pushing out a lot more watts than the 8800GT. Thank god it should fit easily within my CM Stacker :)

8800 GTS here I come :D

Caporegime
OP
Erm has anyone got an 8800 series card on a DFI SLI-DR mobo - wanna check to see how it fits and if it occludes the nvidia SATA ports...

From what I can see the mobo is 24cms long and so is the card - since it needs a x16 lane to function I need to put it in PCIe slot 1 and worried the SATA cables and mobo fan will get in the way...

Just glad I didnt get a GTX since it might be too long to fit in my original Stacker :p

TIA

Back
Top Bottom