Will an old corsair 400w power a 6870?

Soldato
i know both are old, buts it's been awhile since I owned one of those power supplies, so can't remember the connections, but nor did I have a twin 6 pin or single 6 pin card at the time, but the 6870 I've seen requires 2.

My mother in law been wanting a better computer than an old one I built her, her husband owns farming simulator 17, so he wants it for that as he currently plays on Xbox one, but wants to be able to play either version lol and for £85 roughly I could get...

Msi H81M-P33 1150 bundled with viglen genie tower (£20
Intel G3250 20 Anniversary edition (£20)
Corsair 400w (£20
His hd 6870

Can pick up a hard drive and ram for cheap and a cooler, their monitor is old and not hd, just the gpu is £25 and in a shop and Obviously apart from the card the rest is dependent on availability still, just wondering if the psu would be enough?

360w on the 12v rail.

My computer is miles better, but too much computer for their use and me to warrant selling it to them.

Man of Honour
I presume that because it's a 400w psu (they changed to 430w and then 450w after they cheaped out on the oem) it's the original CX400 that was built by Seasonic. That was a very good unit when launched and was far superior to the crap they replaced it with. It should be enough power although the psu came out in 2008/9 so will have degraded a bit by now. I would reckon on that setup pulling around 250-260w at the wall with that G3258 overclocked. Isn't the 6870 a 1Gb card though? It may struggle at a decent resolution.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply. I don't know the history, so I'll go with what you said ha, but I will agree they are good, the one I had also cost £20, but was probably 2 years ago nearly, long before the system I have now for sure, but as they not big gamers(always playing farming on Xbox, so guess their most interest other than her husband likes forza now and then) I figured it would be good enough and better than buying any 350w or less especially for a twin 6 pin graphics card, but they not computer minded like myself, so they wouldn't have a clue nor be interested in any overclocking what so ever, which is why I picked out the G processor, just so happened to be an overclockable one.

The 6870 is indeed a 1gb, but they have an old 17" dell from like the old dimension range, so a dx8 would be good enough for that thing, they don't even need the grunt of the Radeon, just that it's £25 and haven't seen anything better that's close by or available, I even looked at it for myself at one stage..

when I had their pc copy of farming 17 to try out on computers I was building I tried it on my own pc without the 750 and I could run that thing on high setting smoothly, granted the hd4400 are not bad and share 4gb of my 16gb memory(I think anyways, it says 4gb shared and 1gb dedicated when my 750 in place) , but still, regardless of a dx9 card being the minimum, that game isn't completely hard to run if you avoid APU from the E300 range like my last laptop was ha, couldn't run smoothly in low and a low res, so I probably don't need to build them that great of a system, just don't want to have them waste money on total crap lol.

Back
Top Bottom