• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will modern non gaming card better old 6800?

Soldato
im only going from the case, but yesterday I picked up fallout 3, it was £4 and never played any other that FO1 & 4, so given the era of game a gtx 6800 and ati x850 is classed as the minimum which I guess was top cards?

Are modern multimedia cards advanced enough to maybe better those or still short coming on the performance side?

Soldato
im only going from the case, but yesterday I picked up fallout 3, it was £4 and never played any other that FO1 & 4, so given the era of game a gtx 6800 and ati x850 is classed as the minimum which I guess was top cards?

Are modern multimedia cards advanced enough to maybe better those or still short coming on the performance side?

No, they were many years old cards by that date, and they were able to play the game at minimum settings. Making it look awful.
8800GTX was the top of the range card back then, the first DX10 card.

Even PS3 had serious performance issues with Fallout 3 back in the day, a system faster than 6800GTX.

But these are archaic GPUs from 10 years ago. Whats your point?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for replies, but this is not for my system in my sig, that's not in use any more really or my other system, I am looking at laptops that have dedicated, but not gaming..

.... however generally I was just asking for reference ....

I purchased the game before I purchased a ps3 lol, so I wouldn't know how the performance is, but I couldn't get in to fallout 4 on Xbox one, I preferred keyboard & mouse on pc, it was £4 quid, I'm not going to complain, just like to try it out and obviously that was the tech for it even minimum in its day, I know any modern gaming system would play it piece of cake, but as I implied that's not why I asked.

I had a gt 210 1gb with an e8400 stock and just about ran crysis on low with lower res, I guess a 6670 been the highest non gaming card I used for gaming which 'domination' was probably most demanding game at the time of use, so not all are bad.

Soldato
OP
Man of Honour
I used to play this on a gtx 765m based laptop. Did ok tbh but was paired with an i7 and 32gb of memory. I bet good money that a laptop with the likes of the Iris Pro or intel 530 up would happily play this without all that much issue. You problem will be that these "multimedia" cards that are half decent are normally paired with relatively high end laptops and for Iris Graphics I believe that you are looking at Haswell onwards. In terms of Dedi but not gaming... Is that even a thing outside of professional workstation cards? The gt730m is certainly marketed as a gaming card even if it is pretty much garbage.

Soldato
OP
thanks for reply.

ive sold my 5850 now(well got a refund at a shop who sold it me overpriced 15 days ago lol), so even if i used my computer again beyond what im using it for right now i will need something still, just not for demanding game right now.

as for laptops, i saw a nice haswell i3 4010u 1.9ghz with intel graphics, its £125, but i know the 4400 can run titanfall low settings with lower res under a faster i3 making it look like a 360 rather well lol and can even run farming simulator 17 on high, okay fine this laptop only takes 8gb, so would have less overall than the desktop i had with 16gb, but it should be decent, but when i was looking before i was seeing laptops with an i7 26??Q or a 640L with either a low 500m or a low 600m which i dont consider gaming at all, not if the desktop versions arnt, wish i had got one of them as £150 seemed fair, now i cant find anything of the sort unless its £200 plus which i dont have.

theres another laptop with a sandy bridge i3 i think, but a mobility 4330 which is DX10 @ £130

im not looking at laptops specifically to play this game, just something ideally with dedicated DX11 graphics chip in general.

but i was still just interested to know how far these have come to the old tired mid-high end cards..

Back
Top Bottom