• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will my GTX 680 work with this PSU?

Associate
Hey guys,

Im not very tech savy and would like your feedback regarding the topic question: Will my GTX 680 work with this PSU?

PSU in question: OcUK Rage GT 700W PSU 80+ Dual Rail "80 Plus" Efficient Power Supply [PSUPC700GTB]
Link: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-054-OP&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1709

GFX: Nvidia 680 GTX EVGA

My build is Sabertooth 900fx am3+ motherboard, AMD 8150 8 core black edition Processor.

My main concerns is that it wont be powerful enough, or worse cause potential harm, im a slightly paranoid fellow lol.

Thanks anyway guys.

Associate
OP
oh thank you :) a review on the site caused my anxiety, someone written that the PSU wasnt for high end cards.

But, thanks again, my minds at ease :)

Soldato
Associate
OP
sad part is, my PSU isnt more than a few months old lol..
I mistakenly linked the 700W when i meant the 750W.. but i dont think theres a major difference, same brand ect..

Hmm thanks for those links! ..

trying to decide the most logical route now :<

Soldato
sad part is, my PSU isnt more than a few months old lol..
I mistakenly linked the 700W when i meant the 750W.. but i dont think theres a major difference, same brand ect..

Hmm thanks for those links! ..

trying to decide the most logical route now :<

Ah didn't realise you already had the PSU.

In theory it should work as the 12v rails appear to supply enough current for your setup. However without decent reviews it is hard to say how theory would play out in practice.

Ripple, lack of OVP (over voltage protection) and OCP (over current protection) would be my biggest concerns on a untested PSU.

Associate
OP
Could you link me one that you would personally use for the card in question?
E.g a safe one ect, maybe a tested one.

Money isnt really a problem but just a pain in the ass to blow when already spent recently hehe.

Prefer a fairly smart priced one ofcourse though, not some £200 one please ^^

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys

*EDIT*

My eyes are set upon this, XFX Pro 750W Core Edition '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply [P1-750S-NLB9]

hope its worth the buy

Last edited:
Soldato

Money isnt really a problem but just a pain in the ass to blow when already spent recently hehe.

*EDIT*

My eyes are set upon this, XFX Pro 750W Core Edition '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply [P1-750S-NLB9]

hope its worth the buy

Out of the ones I linked to I would go for the Corsair TX650w V2.

The XFX core you mention is also highly rated.

You can't really go wrong with either.

Soldato
He asked if it would work. The answer is yes. Now whether it's a quality PSU is a different story.

A 680 at full load usually draws 300-340W.

If XFX are rebranded Seasonics then XFX should be fine. You don't want anything under 700W though or you will be hamstringing yourself for future upgrades.

Last edited:
Soldato
All PSU's carry this risk. In some peoples minds 'branded' units give them this blanket of peace. It's not that common for any PSU to destroy a PC; they usually just fail with a pop.

I'm not saying you're wrong to be cautious but don't over exaggerate.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
EDITED whole post.

Thanks for all the information guys.

It seems the majority of advice is to upgrade my PSU.
Although my current one will work, there seems to be much doubt that it will live long.
I will get in touch with a few people i know and seek further advice on products.
My personal view on all this is, avoid all possible issues early on, reduce the risk.

Cheers guys, kind regards,
Ljk2190

Last edited:
Associate

*EDIT*

hope its worth the buy

i have the xfx 850w black edition as recommended by people on here and its simply fantastic!!!

if not then buy a lower watt corsair, they always under rate their power output anyway

Associate
OP
awesome, ill probally go for XFX 750W XXX Edition Modular '80 Plus Silver' Power Supply
dont think ill need any more watts than that for a long time.
p.s mecca im also from teesside ha, :D

honestly, thanks for all the feedback, i never understood how crucial power supplies are.

Back
Top Bottom