Will my PC that ran DK2 demos alright run Vive/CV1 games similarly?

Associate
My PC, whilst once considered pretty high-spec for its time, is nowadays probably considered a more mid-range machine. I'm running a Core i5 3570K and an AMD R7850 (2GB) and whilst that was enough power to run pretty much anything I wanted back when I had a DK2, nowadays I'm hearing all this talk of "minimum Core i7 and GeForce 1080s to play" :)

So I bought a PSVR for Christmas and although it's an absolutely fantastic VR experience, I miss the openness of being able to try new demos and in the VR titles from smaller developers on PC. To this end, I'm now considering buying a consumer VR solution for PC (I was dead set on a Vive but recently have been considering getting another Rift...) and whilst I'm certain I'll have to upgrade my machine at some point, in the meantime I'm wondering whether I would be able to have any kind of VR experience with a new headset and my current machine with everything turned down to the lowest possible graphical settings until I next upgrade my PC...?!

So I guess my question is, if I want to buy a Vive, do I buy the headset first, or buy a new graphics card/CPU and then save toward the headset, even if that could take me another month or two? What do people think?

p.s. I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this will be "no", but I specifically bought my Radeon with the knowledge that it could be changed to another Radeon via the 'Crossfire' feature for double the graphical processing capabilities, but
from what I've heard elsewhere it seems people are saying this is not actually the case, and is in fact made especially difficult when trying to do this in VR??

Soldato
Well, I guess you could buy the Vive and try it. VR is a mixed bag with multi gpu setups though. Your best bet would be to save up and get a better GPU after you get the headset.

Back
Top Bottom