• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will Navi equal a 2080 and be cheaper?

Soldato
We won't know until reviews but in theory if you have 4000 shader unit on 7nm, with 200mhz clocks, with GDDR6 with improvements in the arch with greater cache with Vairable Rate Shading implemented. Then yes it maybe possible. 2070 is more likely

Variable shading or adaptive shading is implemented in the game and not the driver right? I think Wolfenstein 2 is one of the few games to offer the feature

Associate
I was hoping it would but I cant see it but we can only hope if AMD become more competitive then prices all round will start to drop.
2080ti's are coming down slowly but they will say its down to the GPU yield improving

Associate
Variable shading or adaptive shading is implemented in the game and not the driver right? I think Wolfenstein 2 is one of the few games to offer the feature

That's a good question and while I don't entirely know the answer but I know Nvidia said their Turing GPUs could hit something like 30% better frames due to VRS and according to them:

ompatible with the following APIs:
DX11, OpenGL, Vulkan.
DX12 support and integration with Unreal Engineand Unity are coming soon

So I'd guess it's directly coded into the software.

Wait here we go

https://www.techpowerup.com/253227/...chnique-for-console-vr-performance-domination

NVIDIA themselves have said that in certain scenarios, the GTX 1660 Ti delivers 1.5x higher frame rates compared with the GTX 1060 - solely due to the application of VRS.

Caporegime
That's a good question and while I don't entirely know the answer but I know Nvidia said their Turing GPUs could hit something like 30% better frames due to VRS and according to them:

ompatible with the following APIs:
DX11, OpenGL, Vulkan.
DX12 support and integration with Unreal Engineand Unity are coming soon

So I'd guess it's directly coded into the software.

Wait here we go

https://www.techpowerup.com/253227/...chnique-for-console-vr-performance-domination

NVIDIA themselves have said that in certain scenarios, the GTX 1660 Ti delivers 1.5x higher frame rates compared with the GTX 1060 - solely due to the application of VRS.

It has to be implemented in the game engine. vega actually had a version of this but it seemd to bave some hardware bugs because they never released a working driver for it. I assume with Navi they will fix it but the performance gains are not that big in reality. Wolfenstein is a good example, it is a nice gain but needs developers to code it and it isn;t game changing.

One unfortunate aspect is this isn;t a feature of DX or Vulcan so nvidia's and AMD's implementation are not compatible. Support in a game will very much depending on AMD and Nvidia helping developers, or developers seeing if the work required is worth it. This is where things wont be so good for AMD ads they tend not to help developers and with a small market share developers are less likely to use it themselves.

Soldato
I'm not as optimistic on the 30%, but since we have few options to test maybe I can't pass final judgement.
IIRC Wolfenstein 2 runs about 10 or 15% better with variable rate shading enabled (without destroying image quality) - I suspect trying to push 30% performance boost just results in a degraded image just like DLSS does

For console it's going to be massive - because it's a single hardware configuration, there would be little reason for developers not to use the feature, even if it's just 15% more performance, every little bit is needed on consoles - especially for VR and we know that next gen machines will continue to use VR (at least the PS5 will)

Associate
It has to be implemented in the game engine. vega actually had a version of this but it seemd to bave some hardware bugs because they never released a working driver for it. I assume with Navi they will fix it but the performance gains are not that big in reality. Wolfenstein is a good example, it is a nice gain but needs developers to code it and it isn;t game changing.

One unfortunate aspect is this isn;t a feature of DX or Vulcan so nvidia's and AMD's implementation are not compatible. Support in a game will very much depending on AMD and Nvidia helping developers, or developers seeing if the work required is worth it. This is where things wont be so good for AMD ads they tend not to help developers and with a small market share developers are less likely to use it themselves.

Interesting, but why did Nvidia claim it netted them a huge gain over last generation. Assuming the article I posted is correct in this statement

Caporegime
Interesting, but why did Nvidia claim it netted them a huge gain over last generation. Assuming the article I posted is correct in this statement

Because it does give a huge gain in specific shader performance when a surface has costly shaders running. But the total performance of a gamer will depend on a huge number of other factors.

There is always another bottleneck. making one aspect 50-100% faster doesn't make the while game run that much faster.

Back
Top Bottom