Will no one rid us of this foolish woman?

Soldato
On the issue of train drinking though, alcohol shouldn't be banned in it's entirety, anti-social behaviour should just be banned, and that ban should be enforced and punished.

Soldato
People saying it's a non-issue are being a little naive. If she was the Shadow Defence Minister or some such, that is one thing, but to be the Shadow Home Secretary is quite another. When you add to this her abysmal recent history, it absolutely calls into question her competency.

Abbott is an idiot. That Corbyn keeps her in his Shadow Cabinet speaks volumes of the mans own competency.

Caporegime
But if we get our knickers in a twist over such a trivial issue (she really does have much more concerning issues), what's the point?

It will be just a weekly faux outrage over nothing, taking more time away from the things (or gaffes) that actually matter. This shouldn't be a career ending story as the title suggests.

Soldato
Yeah, why not just treat the symptom of an issue and completely ignore the cause!

The vast majority of people can drink alcohol without causing a problem, you'd prefer to punish everyone because a small minority cause a problem. Personally I value personal freedoms and liberty, blanket bans should not be used where they can be avoided, you should target the people causing the problems not punish everyone.

Soldato
9 pages of comments on someone mistakenly having a can of G&T on a train. Glad to see perspective is a relative concept even in 2019.

That someone is the Shadow Home Secretary who is supposed to be responsible for law and order in the country if they win the next General Election, which makes it a minor gaffe. But the fact this is another gaffe in a long series of them is what makes it news and comment worthy.

Dianne Abbot is a moron. That's the real story.

Associate
There absolutely is this problem on trains too, just a lesser issue as there are less densely populated journeys. Air travel also has issues around drunk, antisocial and sometimes dangerous passengers.

Without doubt I agree, but someone mistakenly sipping a 250ml can of G&T and then being told you cannot drink it and putting it away isn't the same thing. Alcohol should be banned on planes WAY before trains!

Soldato
I don't have a problem with it. She might be in charge of law and order for a party in this country but the fact everyone is going off on one because she likes a G&T after a hard days graft is not a massive issue.

Caporegime
I don't have a problem with it. She might be in charge of law and order for a party in this country but the fact everyone is going off on one because she likes a G&T after a hard days graft is not a massive issue.

It would be a bit like pulling over somebody for doing 73 mph on a motorway.

Technically they are breaking the law, but people have to use common sense.

Man of Honour
Serving alcohol on planes has always seemed like a mad idea to me.

Not a totally mad idea IMO, I’ll have a couple of miniature vodkas with tonic, and my wife will have a couple of small bottles of wine, particularly with her dinner, and we’re no trouble, it’s when passengers already half “in the bag” get repeatedly served, that’s when the possible problems start.

On the issue of train drinking though, alcohol shouldn't be banned in it's entirety, anti-social behaviour should just be banned, and that ban should be enforced and punished.

I’d hazard a guess that anti-social behaviour is already legislated against, it’s the haphazard enforcement of that legislation, and/or the very light admonishments that follow any enforcement that needs an adjustment.

Soldato
I’d hazard a guess that anti-social behaviour is already legislated against, it’s the haphazard enforcement of that legislation, and/or the very light admonishments that follow any enforcement that needs an adjustment.

Exactly, they don't enforce the current rules so try to create additional rules. I'll just put my alcohol in a Lucozade bottle and no one will know, better ban Lucozade!

Caporegime
People saying it's a non-issue are being a little naive. If she was the Shadow Defence Minister or some such, that is one thing, but to be the Shadow Home Secretary is quite another. When you add to this her abysmal recent history, it absolutely calls into question her competency.

Abbott is an idiot. That Corbyn keeps her in his Shadow Cabinet speaks volumes of the mans own competency.

I think you're a bit late on that one, any hope of competency went out the window years ago.

Or two windows. Or 17. Or 3149. We'll never know.

Back
Top Bottom