Will Smith hits Chris Rock on Oscars stage

Soldato
Sorry mate but it is weakness. If you can’t control your emotions in such a situation it shows a lack of control. It’s pure impulsive emotional behaviour, there’s nothing admirable about it. There was nothing courageous about it. It showed zero wisdom.

The only thing typical of todays attitude is that ‘feelings trump all reason and logic’. Classically displayed by Smith here.

THIS, completely agree.

Soldato
Cracking jokes about sleeping with someone's mum....that's fair 'bants' in my book.

Mocking someone's wife's illness is not.

I'm pretty sure most people would agree there's a line, and it's somewhere between those two actions.
It might have been slightly mocking, but it wasn't a particularly savage joke I thought... Implying she could play GI Jane in a film isn't that bad really is it? You could even even play it off as a bit of a compliment that she still looks good and the look suits her. From recent pics of her it appeared that she had accepted her condition and had accepted how it looked.

At the end of the day she's lost her hair and if she feels sensitive about it then the joke shouldn't have been made (and it wasn't really a good joke anyway), but the tone wasn't particularly insulting, just insensitive. And the medical condition she has is that she's lost her hair - not like she's dying from cancer or something.

Basically, despite being poor taste and not a great joke, I don't see how it could possibly have warranted that response from Will (and it wasn't even an immediate response, after recovering from laughing he had a good amount of time while walking up to Chris to think 'hold on, what am I doing here').

The bar for speech that deserves immediate physical violence is pretty damn high (or low, I suppose) in my books. And in that context I'm not even sure it would ever be justified whatever was said - there are other ways to address things.

Last edited:
Soldato
No, but don't cry like a baby if you get slapped by one of the few folk to actually police it.

Sorry guv'nor he insulted me mum, thats why I beat him up.

Not sure what you are on about. We are in a thread discussing an event last night. Bit of a strange response from you.

Yes... so who're are you to decide whats appropriate to joke about or not? If a line needs to be drawn then you might as well make everything slightly offensive something worth resorting to physical violence for.

Man of Honour
Sorry guv'nor he insulted me mum, thats why I beat him up.

Yes... so who're are you to decide whats appropriate to joke about or not? If a line needs to be drawn then you might as well make everything slightly offensive something worth resorting to physical violence for.
Jesus. It's my opinion. I'm not trying to make it a law. Maybe try seeing that people can have opinions.

Caporegime
Specifically any different to what? To jokes about sleeping with someone's mum?

Because the mum joke is a common joke made by many people. It's not really aimed at the mum. But laughing at someone's illness is laughing at something they have no control over and that illness has probably caused them a lot of hurt in the past. It's similar in my eyes to laughing at someone because they are in a wheelchair.

Being in a wheelchair is a significant change to someone's life. That is in no way comparable to the loss of hair. Something that people frequently do by choice!
Why is it OK for men to lose their hair but not women?

Associate
Fair play to Chris, he played it off about as well as I think you could.

I don't think Will should or will get "cancelled" or any of that nonsense, but he's just come out of this now looking like a complete idiot, and the most prestigious award of his career now will have a permanent cloud hanging over it.

Soldato
Being in a wheelchair is a significant change to someone's life. That is in no way comparable to the loss of hair. Something that people frequently do by choice!
Triggered because of male pattern baldness! Yes, I knew you'd survive the slowdown in GD frothy threads. I just didn't expect it to be this!

Caporegime

Always wondered that, if a man is losing his hair the general suggestion (even from women) is "just shave it off". If a woman's losing her hair it's apparently worse than being diagnosed with a terminal illness and everyone has to join in the pity party.

Back
Top Bottom