Will Smith hits Chris Rock on Oscars stage

Soldato
Does seem rather funny that this occurs while we're "culturally" embroiled in over-sensitive pushback against edgy comedy.

Remember "Punch a Nazi" (Read: Feel free to physically assault anyone of even the most milquetoast conservative viewpoint)? I'd expect the new attitude to grow from this among the less mentally stable will be "Slap a Comedian" (Read: Feel free to physically assault anyone, whether as part of a comedy show or not, who says a joke that offends you).

I would certainly hope not, but am already seeing the justifications and rumblings on social media about this being a good thing and how "the stage isn't a forcefield that prevents you from being clocked for being a bully".

Associate
Chris had it coming, he made an inappropriate joke about his wife's medical condition, if I was in that situation I would have slapped him as well. I mean if someone joked about your wife dying of cancer, any illness or disability would you make a joke about it live TV to the world, no you probably wouldn't and if you did you deserve what's coming to you.

Soldato
Some of them are kids! What does a free pass mean!? Basically the world is a pretty messed up and violent place, you better get used to it because when push comes to shove I know which side of the fence I'd rather be on.

Plus look at his eyes when the joke is being made. Do you think he was really enjoying it? The bloke crossed a line and maybe people crossing the line in that way have been protected for far too long.

Words can hurt just as much if not more than a slap to the face.

I honestly see him smiling with his eyes which makes it seem authentic. Then he looked to his left, saw a face like thunder, was backed into a corner so went back to basics.

Caporegime
Chris had it coming, he made an inappropriate joke about his wife's medical condition, if I was in that situation I would have slapped him as well. I mean if someone joked about your wife dying of cancer, any illness or disability would you make a joke about it live TV to the world, no you probably wouldn't and if you did you deserve what's coming to you.

Except it wasn't cancer or a disability was it?

It's quite likely to have been due to hairstyle choices, though I cannot discount that it could well be naturally occurring and it is impossible to know either way but I think it's important to note. Even if it were a joke about cancer it still does not deserve violence, it would deserve social stigmatisation from his peers (well one would hope anyway, unless the target of mockery is fine with it) and that should be enough of a consequence.

The only satisfactory and moral use of violence is a proportionate response to being threatened or assaulted and an inappropriate comment can hardly be described as either, else anything that someone finds offensive is justification for violence and I hardly think you'd enjoy that world one bit.

Soldato
Why would you make a point that you would do what he did then change the scenario? :confused:

Soldato
So jokes that offend justify a violent response?

Associate
So jokes that offend justify a violent response?

But it wasn't a general joke that offended many, it was a personal joke that singled out his wife. Violence is not always the answer but Chris will certainly think twice about personally insulting a person in his audience from now on.

And yes there are comedians that do insult there audience as part of the show but you pay to go to them so you expect it, but this wasn't that type of event.

Associate
But it wasn't a general joke that offended many, it was a personal joke that singled out his wife. Violence is not always the answer but Chris will certainly think twice about personally insulting a person in his audience from now on.

And yes there are comedians that do insult there audience as part of the show but you pay to go to them so you expect it, but this wasn't that type of event.

This was the Oscars. It's absolutely that type of event.

Violence is never the answer.

Soldato

Except that’s exactly the type of event this was. The audience are always fair game, it’s a known quantity. WS even laughed at it.

Soldato
But the oscars is not a exactly a comedy show is it with one person on stage that you personally went to see.

Personally want to see? Is this the first event of this nature they’ve ever been to? No. The audience are always fair game at award ceremonies and always have been!

Soldato
The host mocking the audience is par for course at award ceremonies. Look at Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes, Rebel Wilson at the Baftas or Aubrey Plaza at the Spirit Independent Film awards.

Soldato

That she herself has joked about. You are rationalising a violent response.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
People need to grow a pair of decent balls and stop trying to justify Smith's unhinged and physically violent outbursts. Simple as that.

Back
Top Bottom