Will Smith hits Chris Rock on Oscars stage

Soldato
not for rock
does rock actually have a career - people pay money to see these people ? - I mean american comedy is pretty obscure anyway, like schumer., it's kings new clothes;
a payday from Smith Will probably trump his lifetime earnings.

Caporegime
"jada, I love ya, g.i Jane 2, can't wait to see it"

Some users on this forum

"Chris Rock basically said she had cancer, called her ugly on the street, I'd deck him, well called for, mean guy"

Plus G.I. Jane is a bad ass character, it's not like he said. "Jada turned up looking like X person on her last days with chemo."

The G.I. Jane joke is practically saying she looks good with that style.

Soldato
Plus G.I. Jane is a bad ass character, it's not like he said. "Jada turned up looking like X person on her last days with chemo."

The G.I. Jane joke is practically saying she looks good with that style.
A boss of mine once said a guy in our team with alopecia looked like a bond villain.

Soldato
does rock actually have a career - people pay money to see these people ? - I mean american comedy is pretty obscure anyway, like schumer., it's kings new clothes;
a payday from Smith Will probably trump his lifetime earnings.

Rock is worth $60,000,000 plus... I don't think he's hurting for $$$.

Man of Honour
"jada, I love ya, g.i Jane 2, can't wait to see it"

Some users on this forum

"Chris Rock basically said she had cancer, called her ugly on the street, I'd deck him, well called for, mean guy"

Which is especially amusing as half of this lot would die of fright if they were slapped.

Associate
I've only read the last two pages...

This was obviously a set up, all of Chris's jokes would have been vetted before the show and most likely run past Will and Jada. The slap was a stage slap and they're both actors.

All this in the midst of a failing format with plummeting viewing figures and yet it's all people are talking about today.

Sharpen up.

We should also be careful in normalising violent responses to things we are 'offended' by.

Soldato
if Chris Rock was complimenting Jada then it wouldn't have been joke at all...

Yes, saying she could play the part could have been a compliment but context is important and Chris made it absolutely clear that it was a joke, nothing else.

Soldato

This was obviously a set up, all of Chris's jokes would have been vetted before the show and most likely run past Will and Jada. The slap was a stage slap and they're both actors.

All this in the midst of a failing format with plummeting viewing figures and yet it's all people are talking about today.

Sharpen up.

We should also be careful in normalising violent responses to things we are 'offended' by.

Nah....not set up !

Soldato

Sharpen up.

Yep difficult to tell if he made contact, certainly no red mark.
But whatever it sets a terrible example, huge misjudgement.

Associate
Has anyone felt humiliation on a world stage? I very much doubt it. Will done what he had to do at the spur of the moment. He could have tackled Chris by pointing out the inappropriateness of his behaviour if his emotions didn't get the better of him.

Personally, I'm disappointed that Will didn't go for a right hook. If you're going to hit someone then do it properly or not at all.

Soldato
The punch looked staged to me as a real punch would have hurt Chris Rock.

Poor show by Will Smith but after hearing about his open relationship I feel a bit sorry for him. His stock has gone way down, maybe this is the turning point in his career where he gets his act together and stops doing crap films.

Soldato
What Will Smith did is no different to being in a conference room with your work colleagues and deciding using physical violence is an acceptable response to what somebody said. That isn't acceptable - if I did that I would, and would expect to be, fired.

Obviously he's 'self-employed', but he was at a ceremony amongst his peers. There are plenty of actors who have been in the firing line of hosts over the years and I don't recall any resorting to physical violence.

If you think violence in an appropriate response then I'm glad I don't have colleagues as unhinged as you.

Soldato
i think most poeple in RL would have reacted pretty angrily about someone taking a pot shot at your wife. most defo would be looking for a pounching up or at least a swearing off content. thats no matter if she s cheated or crap has happened between you and her.

not justifying what is going on. but if he didnt slap Chris Rock *who probably isnt on friendly terms of the Smiths, Chris might have digged deeper as he s up for Best actor. if he did react with words, then Chris would have taken that bone and gone for it.

anyway point is that, it is a no-win situation for Will.

Caporegime
i think most poeple in RL would have reacted pretty angrily about someone taking a pot shot at your wife. most defo would be looking for a pounching up or at least a swearing off content. thats no matter if she s cheated or crap has happened between you and her.

not justifying what is going on. but if he didnt slap Chris Rock *who probably isnt on friendly terms of the Smiths, Chris might have digged deeper as he s up for Best actor. if he did react with words, then Chris would have taken that bone and gone for it.

Nobody would have batted an eyelid had he just let that moment slide. Case in point, do we remember any other joke from last night?

Nope.

Let's not forget, he found that joke funny himself. He laughed, not smiled, laughed at the very joke he seemingly is insulted by.

Soldato
That's ultimately the issue for Smith, his wife still had a joke made at her expense but now he's also facing some form of punishment from the academy and scrutiny from his peers for his behaviour.

Soldato

Not at all . Just don't hit him , you think that violence was the only answer in this situation? Don't agree at all. It would have been a 'win for Will' if Will hadn't done what he did .

Back
Top Bottom