Will the Hr-03 fit next gen GFX cards?

Associate
assuming that the HR-03 will physically fit around or on a 9800 or whatever I may get next, will it be an issue that the actual block which sits on the GPU is not exactly the right size. obviously if the heatsink block is smaller than the GPU it will no collect all the heat from the surface of the GPU. But, if the heatsink block is larger than the GPU, will it still work as efficiently as if it were exactly the same size?

bit of a physics /engineering question I know, but I know there are a few engineers on this forum!

Soldato
Yeah it's impossible to say as it solely depends on where Nvidia/AMD put the mounting holes on the PCB. They could be nice and put them in a position that works fine with the HR-03 / other popular coolers, but that is highly unlikely and they'll just put them wherever they need to :)

Soldato
More likely then not with the shrinking of die sizes to 55nm the actual heatspreader size of the GPU will be smaller. It's up to ATi and nVidia whether or not to allow current gen heatsinks to fit. There's always bodging though =)

Back
Top Bottom