Will there be a Steam Xmas sale?

Caporegime
The grey market sellers have "fixed" costs to the commodities they are re-selling. They have a minimum bottom line to sell at or they lose money.

Publishers directly on Steam have no such "fixed" overhead per sale. They could heavily discount in the sales beating the grey market sellers and STILL be in profit.

That is why it is embarrassing.

I would like to see the sales trends of this versus past sales.

Personally, I miss the daily flash sales. That enabled bigger discounting as they knew it would not be long term and many purchasing are doing so on a whim so any money is good money.

Not really.

The crux of the matter is, they don't want to sell on Steam UK/US cheaper than Russia/India/China/Brazil.

It's not embarrassing, it's just life. If grey market sellers are buying their games in those area - and taking advantage of "sales" like we do - they will be buying games for pennies.

You can't expect Steam UK/US to hit those rock-bottom prices. Will never happen.

Soldato
don't really bother with games anymore but got a £20 voucher for Christmas..

Can't find anything worth getting. Looked at either Dishonoured 2 or Planet Coaster (for the wife) but can't see myself really playing either. Don't really have a lot of time for gaming anymore.

May look at a controller instead or some of their other software.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not really.

The crux of the matter is, they don't want to sell on Steam UK/US cheaper than Russia/India/China/Brazil.

It's not embarrassing, it's just life. If grey market sellers are buying their games in those area - and taking advantage of "sales" like we do - they will be buying games for pennies.

You can't expect Steam UK/US to hit those rock-bottom prices. Will never happen.

What do you mean "Not really"?

Once upon a time, the Steam sales regularly hit "rock bottom" prices with developers admitting it was very lucrative for them owing to the volume of sales and there also being an "after sale" effect of games being sold at full price for a time after the sales ended.

Grey market goods can only be sold for "wholesale" value or more, if they are selling for "pennies" then they are stolen.

Developers/Publishers could sell to Western customers for a limited duration at below such markets "wholesale" value but chose not to.

Soldato
The grey market sellers have "fixed" costs to the commodities they are re-selling. They have a minimum bottom line to sell at or they lose money.

Publishers directly on Steam have no such "fixed" overhead per sale. They could heavily discount in the sales beating the grey market sellers and STILL be in profit.

That is why it is embarrassing.

I would like to see the sales trends of this versus past sales.

Personally, I miss the daily flash sales. That enabled bigger discounting as they knew it would not be long term and many purchasing are doing so on a whim so any money is good money.

That makes no sense.

So if I walk into a shop that's discounted a pair of jeans from £50 to £25, that's still a rubbish discount because dodgy Dave down the local is selling them for £15.

The steam sales have never really been any better than this, people just remember it that way. Also the flash sales were not better, its just that on the other days those games were not as heavily discounted.

Soldato
Guys

Can someone else check their bank statement please.

Bought broken sword trilogy and I cannot see the purchase on my bank account.

I do however have a payment for TSI Paymentwall, which looks roughly for the correct amount but it has been changed to euros and an extra €1 taken for exchange.

Just want to make sure it is for steam. And if they are charging in euros now, hey can sod off.

Don't know if this helps as I paid using paypal, but it does show up on my paypal transactions as steam and is in pounds.

Soldato
Picked up the Dead Rising/Dead Rising 2 bundle today.
I was thinking of buying an old 360 to play through the first one again, so made sense to get it on PC.
I absolutely loved the first Dead Rising (once I learned how things worked). Played a lot of the second but never completed, so will be good to go back.

Permabanned
Picked up a Steam link and controller. Supposed to be £49.99 inc delivery but I bought a £50 wallet top up for £46-ish off of CDkeys and paid that way.

Games wise though there was nothing I wanted. Those days of crazy prices and stupid deals are long gone

I'm glad I went stupid buying loads of games over the last 3 or 4 years if that is the case, I've got over 2000 games on Steam with well over half of them barely touched if at all. It'll probably take me the next ten years to play through them so if the big discounts are gone I'll live with it and just buy the big releases as I want them, The next will be State of Decay 2. The average price of a AAA title is too much nowadays anyway.

Soldato
That makes no sense.

So if I walk into a shop that's discounted a pair of jeans from £50 to £25, that's still a rubbish discount because dodgy Dave down the local is selling them for £15.

The steam sales have never really been any better than this, people just remember it that way. Also the flash sales were not better, its just that on the other days those games were not as heavily discounted.

Both sellers will have a "break even" price.

A game once completed, has no such "break even" price per unit. Yes, they have to recoup development costs and make a profit but a short term sale price of £1 will return some profit.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18351958

Much better deals there.

Soldato
Both sellers will have a "break even" price.

A game once completed, has no such "break even" price per unit. Yes, they have to recoup development costs and make a profit but a short term sale price of £1 will return some profit.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18351958

Much better deals there.

They need to recoup costs, make a profit, and invest in current and future development. Its not massively different just because its not a physical product. Sure they may make a little short term cash by flogging off a load of copies for a quid but its probably not the best business model and just devalues their own product. I'm not quite sure why everyone suddenly feels entitled to such discounts.

2011 sale looks much the same.

Soldato
They need to recoup costs, make a profit, and invest in current and future development. Its not massively different just because its not a physical product. Sure they may make a little short term cash by flogging off a load of copies for a quid but its probably not the best business model and just devalues their own product. I'm not quite sure why everyone suddenly feels entitled to such discounts.

2011 sale looks much the same.

Sale looks much the same to me also. Only significant thing imo is the absense of publisher packs.

Soldato
OP
The first one seems to have been loved across the board but 2 seems to be a bit like marmite going by steam reviews etc, I may just go for it looks fun and if I don't like it... it's your fault :D

Lol. Fair enough. I played 2 before 1 and then went back and played the first one. Can't say I enjoyed either one significantly more than the other - they were both great. I think people's problem with 2 was they didn't like the story as much as 1 but I thought the story in 2 was great too...

Soldato
Picked up a Steam link and controller. Supposed to be £49.99 inc delivery but I bought a £50 wallet top up for £46-ish off of CDkeys and paid that way.

Games wise though there was nothing I wanted. Those days of crazy prices and stupid deals are long gone

Ordered the Controller during the last sale (not the Christmas one, the one before) for some €60 (shipping is such a rip off) and I still didn't get it delivered. They issued a tracking number via DHL but an item was never registered with that tracking number. Contracted them, they said it is an invoice error/problem, they issued me a refund and they assigned me a 2nd tracking number of the new controller. At this point I was like sweet, free controller.

Well, the item never registered. So I contacted them again and they were like ah well, invoice error again. but hey, don't complain, we gave you a refund.

Soldato
OP
The best purchase for me was Tomb Raider for £3.74. Awesome game!

Yeah I love the new Tomb Raider games although I'm playing Tomb Raider Legend just now and whilst there are lots of comments in reviews for the new Tomb Raider games regarding how Lara is now proportionate, I have to say I miss the extreme curves of the previous games... the reviews for the new games make this sound like a good thing! Am I missing something? :D

Back
Top Bottom