• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will two 7950's handle next gen?

Associate
I currently have a 7950. It does the job fine apart from the odd game that needs more of a boost. This is at 5760x1080. If i get another 7950 will it handle next gen for a year or more? I fear when consoles upgrade and graphics improve overall. My Vram won't handle the stress of 5760x1080 with next gen visuals.

Thoughts?

Associate
If rumours are true then it's possible console releases (not the Wii-U) will hold off until 2014 in which case you're ok anyway.

As for your question. I'd say they would yes. But i'd also consider selling the 7950 at the start of next gen and upgrading to whatever's on offer then. Just look at the difference between last generations GTX 580 and this generations GTX 680 (top single gpu to top single gpu).

Soldato
To answer your question, if you get a second 7950, it'll easily be fine for a year or so. If you need the performance now to boost games that are important to you, go for it. You can always sell *both* of them when the next gen tech comes along.

Extrapolating from Katsumoto's advice, here's a 6990 (equivalent of last gen 6950 CF) vs a 680 (current gen top card):
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/515?vs=555
They trade blows, with the 6990 sometimes winning by a large margin.

By that logic, a 7950 CF setup should do well against a 780.

Associate
herp - misread op. since you already have a 7950, keep it and upgrade to a second if you feel the need for it now. if not then wait till next year and upgrade/sell your card. i don't think you should buy a second card just so you can futureproof

Last edited:
Caporegime
I currently have a 7950. It does the job fine apart from the odd game that needs more of a boost. This is at 5760x1080. If i get another 7950 will it handle next gen for a year or more? I fear when consoles upgrade and graphics improve overall. My Vram won't handle the stress of 5760x1080 with next gen visuals.

Thoughts?

tbh as has been posted in about a years time unreal 4 engine hits and a 680gtx runs this at 30 fps. this has been verified . so depending on what you going to play the next year will see some big changes.

the new cod title launching with the new xbox is supposed to be using unreal4 engine. anyone who plays cod will tell you minimum is 60 fps . so you going to need some big cash upgrades for that. if you have a decent card now id wait till this time next year tbh as there's nothing to push the games we have now until the new engine launches and the new consoles launch.

games will probably step up a bit with the new console launches cant wait.

Soldato
The unreal engine 4 was showcased at very high graphic settings. When it is actually used in a game, it will be optimised and targeted for existing hardware, and much more efficient.

Soldato
Why not just wait and see what next gen actually brings to the table, if it will be good enough then a 7950 when 'next gen' arrives should be cheaper than they are now if anything then you could purchase one.

Back
Top Bottom