1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

Will we see £500 1080's soon?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by carlazai, 7 Sep 2016.

1. carlazai

Mobster

That was my exact feeling as well. I have the budget for 1 if I wanted, its the fact I feel that the current pricing by both manufacturer and retailer is tkaing the ****. I bet when the prices went up they went up by a few extra % to increase the retailers margins and subsequently the end of quarter bonus!

2. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

I have a feeling that you are in the same boat as me, able to buy but refusing to buy on principle due to Nvidia greed. I know for a fact I will never own a 1080.

The OP, on the other hand, is prepared to buy at the right price if it comes along. With it being a 1080 there will inevitably be price reductions due to the ridiculous over pricing to start with, but I'm not convinced it'll ever be a sensible purchase.

3. hyperseven

Sgarrista

Oh, so you have detailed breakdown of the production cost per unit to justify such a statement, please share with the group :p

4. Cooper

Mobster

Jacking up the price 25% for nothing more than node shrunk, clock bumped Maxwell's was/is rather taking the p on Nvidia's part.

5. llamadal

Mobster

Ok great so you have already decided you won't buy it because *insert whatever reason no one cares about here*

So why keep coming back to a thread specifically about said product?

To the OP - once back orders are filled, supply outstrips demand then I imagine Gibbo will have some listed just under the £500 mark, probably take a couple of months.

From personal experience I've always found the best time to buy a new card is to either pre-order (they often go up once released) or 6 months or so after release. The rest of the time in between is a bit of a lottery.

6. Ste

Mobster

Probably see a 499 this week only in a couple of months especially if the currency goes in the right direction

7. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

Be a while yet before they EOL them.

8. Tropicocity

Gangster

Makes me glad I nabbed a 1070 for 300 lol

9. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

:D

10. DarrenM343

Soldato

Reference 1080 directly from the green team themselves on launch day was £619.99 and it's the same today so no change there.

11. spulse

Gangster

it is considering you can get a 980ti for close to 300quid now.

12. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

The 980Tis only close to £300, as its an old gen card thats been out over a year, and is now EOL, its price now doesn't have any bearing on new card prices.

Last edited: 8 Sep 2016
  13. spulse

Gangster

saying it's 'EOL' doesn't make it any less of powerful card. 2 of them are absolutely storming in any current game at high resolutions. If you absolutely have to have the best that's fine but don't act like it's not the best performance-to-price option for people looking beyond at 1440p and beyond...

14. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

You can't expect a new gen card thats just come out, to be around the now much lower price, of an old card thats been out yonks and EOL'd.

15. spulse

Gangster

it's only been out for a year and (once overclocked) benchmarks close to the 1080 in loads of situations. how is it hard to expect the price to be relatively similar? Nvidia's grasp on the market & subsequent pricing model is blinding everyone it seems.

There are 1080's out for 799quid. Don't you think that's absolutely mental?

16. 8 Pack

OcUK Staff

A pointless question as no one who knows will comment on Nvidia pricing policy.

If you have the money buy the card enjoy it now.

17. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

the 980Ti on release was around £600, its old now, as been out over a year, and its also EOL'd as said, thats why its now down to around £300, you can't expect a new 1080 thats just come out, to only be around that new dropped to £300 price, of that now old EOL'd card.