• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Will you be buying a Radeon VII?

Will you be buying a Radeon VII?

• Total voters
Associate
It's also just like using the resolution scale in game from 100 to lower. But the main difference is DLSS does it on the fly based on demand from the GPU.

Having not seen it in action my concern is a noticeable change in quality, like when you're watching a stream and the bitrate changes. If everything suddenly looks slightly more blurry (because it's upscaled 1080p, not 1440p) then back to sharp a few seconds later it could be really annoying.

Soldato
Having not seen it in action my concern is a noticeable change in quality, like when you're watching a stream and the bitrate changes. If everything suddenly looks slightly more blurry (because it's upscaled 1080p, not 1440p) then back to sharp a few seconds later it could be really annoying.

Abit like this. Sooner people get out there head that DLSS gives a better image quality the better. It just means they be less disappointed when more games become available.

Now I not down talking the tech here, I think its fantastic and would like to see AMD bring something like this. But it doesn't offer better image quality over 4k TAA but it does give better performance for a trade off of less quality, and like I said this is expected you lower res you lower quality fact.

Each user will just need to come to there own conclusion if that reduced IQ vs performance is worth it.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS82L1AvODA2MzUzL29yaWdpbmFsL0ZGLVhWLWdsb2JhbC5wbmc=

Associate
That's really bizarre. The bushes in the background look better with DLSS but the jaggles on the car look a lot worse than TAA. Needless to say, my point above stands, if you saw it switch from one to the other you'd definitely notice the change unless they can somehow fade it in.

Soldato
That's really bizarre. The bushes in the background look better with DLSS but the jaggles on the car look a lot worse than TAA. Needless to say, my point above stands, if you saw it switch from one to the other you'd definitely notice the change unless they can somehow fade it in.
Wondering if it is slightly different point in the video with the background beinig intentionally out of focus? Or possibly the depth of field doesn't work with dlss?

Soldato
I like the idea of DLSS purely because it should provide a bit more lifespan for RTX cards if every game from now onwards gives the option of DLSS.

Caporegime
Wondering if it is slightly different point in the video with the background beinig intentionally out of focus? Or possibly the depth of field doesn't work with dlss?

Yup from the image the car itself looks plainly worse, lacking AA and the text on the number plate is clearly much less smooth, but the background looks so much sharper. IT's something not working or just luck of the draw in frames where one has motion blur enabled blurring the background and the DLSS doesn't. Upscaling generally looks a bit crap and from what I've seen of DLSS it seems no different. From day one it came across as upscaling trying desperately hard to seem more complex and not call itself upscaling to trick customers into thinking they are getting something other than plain old upscaling.

Man of Honour

DLSS looks like it is doing some sharpening - if you look at the number plate the smaller text is really struggling on the DLSS image without enough resolution to recover from while the big text has enough information to recreate a close approximation of the full resolution image but still has some noise resulting in stepped artefacts on the edges like aliasing and obviously sharpened to try and get it near the higher resolution version. (Not just AI processing trying to fill in more detail).

Last edited:
Man of Honour

That is the way DLSS seems to work, you get more jaggies on some things and sharper images on others.

As I said in another thread using DLSS is very much swings and roundabouts.

Caporegime
Upscaling then sharpening the upscaled image, sure, but upscaling has less detail, sharpening can only go so far, it still won't match native 4k which simply has the accurate sharp detail to begin with. No amount of work and no algorithms will make a upscaled 4k image have more definition than 4k native.

That's why the car looks significantly worse everywhere on it, the grills, the light bar, the logo, the number plate. Being worse everywhere in foreground but sharper in background is 99.9% likely a post processing blurring effect getting disabled in DLSS. Remove that setting from 4k native and you have even sharper background and the better foreground.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Upscaling then sharpening the upscaled image, sure, but upscaling has less detail, sharpening can only go so far, it still won't match native 4k which simply has the accurate sharp detail to begin with. No amount of work and no algorithms will make a upscaled 4k image have more definition than 4k native.

That's why the car looks significantly worse everywhere on it, the grills, the light bar, the logo, the number plate. Being worse everywhere in foreground but sharper in background is 99.9% likely a post processing blurring effect getting disabled in DLSS. Remove that setting from 4k native and you have even sharper background and the better foreground.

I agree DLSS won’t magically make it better than native 4K and current implementation is obviously not as good as native. But it is still a good option to have as when I run my monitor on anything but native resolution it just does not look right. So if I ever wanted to play a game at a slightly lower resolution, I could use DLSS. It will still look better than 1440p :D

Soldato
I agree DLSS won’t magically make it better than native 4K and current implementation is obviously not as good as native. But it is still a good option to have as when I run my monitor on anything but native resolution it just does not look right. So if I ever wanted to play a game at a slightly lower resolution, I could use DLSS. It will still look better than 1440p :D

I just wonder, for the people who think DLSS looks better than native 4K, is it their eyesight? Sorry, :p that really comes across worse than what I mean. What I mean is that maybe people who are seeing the DLSS image, which looks like 1800p, they are seeing more detail that they don't notice at 4K.

Caporegime
DLSS from the images so far, looks to be "meh" at best. Some parts of the image can be good, some parts worse. So you're essentially partially making the image worse to increase performance. =/

Man of Honour
Come on, you ask the obvious question? Clearly the first sign of eyesight issues should have been the moment bought RTX cards a those exuberant prices.
They should have gone first to ....Specsavers... :D

No need I actually make products that Specsavers sell lol.

You also need very good eyesight to do my job.:p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I just wonder, for the people who think DLSS looks better than native 4K, is it their eyesight? Sorry, :p that really comes across worse than what I mean. What I mean is that maybe people who are seeing the DLSS image, which looks like 1800p, they are seeing more detail that they don't notice at 4K.
Well I am not surprised many find that DLSS is great, as they cannot even see the difference between 1440p and 2160p, let alone 1800p. I have seen so many posts like this. They will never admit they need to visit specsavers or have major bias issues :p

Back
Top Bottom