• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Will you be buying a Radeon VII?

Will you be buying a Radeon VII?

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Tbf it's circa-$500 less.

This card is a low-volume part, made for the AMD rabid fans only imo and will serve them well :)

The point I was trying to make is HBM2 is great for 2160p on a card like the Titan V which has the muscle to run at the resolution but this new Radeon card does not fall into that performance bracket.

If anyone wants to use the lame excuse that HBM2 was used to keep heat/power consumption down, seriously this is supposed to be a 7nm card.

The other thing that concerns me is why are the clockspeeds so low for a 7nm card even my crappy Titan RTX with 18.6 billion transistors on 12nm using the standard air cooler can hit much higher clockspeeds.

If the best AMD can do is recycle Vega at 7nm they should have saved their resources and carried on making Vega 56 and 64 cards as these are now very popular and offer great value for money.

AMD really need some new power efficient designs for future GPUs if they want to compete at the very high end, until then they should not waste resources with old compromises.

Soldato
Looks like an awesome card. Monster spec 128 ROPS and 1TB/s memory bandwitdh.

Might pick one up at some point, but RTX 2080 serves me fine. Tbh this is already more performance than I need xD.

Soldato
Considering I already have a 1080ti (bought used of course) then no. I would only consider a card now with a significant performance uplift at a non "lol" price.

I was tempted to replace the 1060 in my wife's machine as she has a Freesync monitor. However at £600+ it would be very difficult to justify considering the rumored performance means we haven't moved on much at all from the 1080Ti launch. Its the same reason I won't look at a 2060 until the price is more in line with that of the 1060 (of the x60 segment).

Caporegime
If it was built with cheaper GDDR memory it could sell for £500.

To do this would have required redesigning the memory interface, spinning out a new design at TSMC which takes 6-9 months, and the costs might not be that much lower because the 7nm process is very expensive and low yield for these large chips. The economics of vega 7 only work because they are salvaged Vega20 Instinct card.

And hwile I am dubious the power savings are any where as much as AMD states using HBM, there is some savings. Vega7 with GDDR might push 350w

Associate
Changed my vote to 'No' ive just pulled the trigger on a strix 64, my reference card has been doing my head in since making the jump to 1440p, its so loud!

Man of Honour
To do this would have required redesigning the memory interface, spinning out a new design at TSMC which takes 6-9 months, and the costs might not be that much lower because the 7nm process is very expensive and low yield for these large chips. The economics of vega 7 only work because they are salvaged Vega20 Instinct card.

And hwile I am dubious the power savings are any where as much as AMD states using HBM, there is some savings. Vega7 with GDDR might push 350w

I agree it takes a long time to design new GPUs but the decision to go back to using GDDR memory should have been taken a couple of years ago, NVidia seem to have gone down that route moving from Volta/HBM2 to Turing/GDDR6.

Soldato
I agree it takes a long time to design new GPUs but the decision to go back to using GDDR memory should have been taken a couple of years ago, NVidia seem to have gone down that route moving from Volta/HBM2 to Turing/GDDR6.

But you've always said yourself that Volta is not, nor ever was intended to be, a gaming card. And compute cards benefit from HBM.

Radeon VII is a repurposed compute card, hence HBM. Navi is a gaming arch and will be GDDR6.

Arcturus? Who knows.

Caporegime

They probably are using GDDR for Navi.

Vega7 was never ever intended for gamers, so it wouldn't have made sense that a couple of years back they designed a GDDR6 version.

Man of Honour
But you've always said yourself that Volta is not, nor ever was intended to be, a gaming card. And compute cards benefit from HBM. Turing isn't a compute card, hence GDDR6.

Radeon VII is a repurposed compute card, hence HBM. Navi is a gaming arch and will be GDDR6.

Arcturus? Who knows.

There are plenty of Turing compute cards too using GDDR6 check out the new Quadro RTX cards.

Man of Honour
The other thing that concerns me is why are the clockspeeds so low for a 7nm card even my crappy Titan RTX with 18.6 billion transistors on 12nm using the standard air cooler can hit much higher clockspeeds.

Given the time (or lack of) AMD has been working on this and how quickly they transitioned to TSMC I suspect this is more an equivalent of a straight up design shrink than something designed from the ground up to take advantage of the node - they seem to have kind of jumped on 7nm in a hurry.

Caporegime
OP
Given the time (or lack of) AMD has been working on this and how quickly they transitioned to TSMC I suspect this is more an equivalent of a straight up design shrink than something designed from the ground up to take advantage of the node - they seem to have kind of jumped on 7nm in a hurry.
It does look that way but at least they have something for the 4K gamers who tend to favour AMD.

Back
Top Bottom