• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Will you be buying a Radeon VII?

Will you be buying a Radeon VII?

• Total voters
Soldato
Which is a farce that they implemented just to inflate their numbers, how is the panel not enabling it by default considered to be a failure? Turning on a toggle in the control panel is such a hard thing to do?
I guess they have to save some face and still try to retain a market for their premium parts. They are doing this by highlighting the problems with FreeSync (1), loose standards leading to a low quality experience with some monitors. For LFC to work you need that 2+X refresh range, so panels without this do not fully "work".

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
A very accurate deduction.

At some point a full fat higher clocked card will show up.
@Dicehunter

I bet it does not happen. If these are salvaged parts as we are hypothesising, then this is it.

I think you guys have got stung by Nvidia too many times so you are very suspicious.

Titan XP, Titan Xp, Titan Xp Star Wars! Got to collect them all! Lol :p

Associate
Nope not buying, The R7 only has 3840 stream processors and the full card has 4096 so they'll probably release a R7+ i.e the full fat thing, 6 months after, Then I'll buy it.

Just a suspicion.

That's very unlikely. Here's some reasons why:

1. If they could show something today beating the 2080 they would have.
2. Why wait 6 months and lose 6 months of sales?
3. It's going to be ~6% faster. Not really enough of a difference to warrant a new card, it'd have to be a replacement.
4. Stream processors are linked to compute units. 60/64=0.9375, 3840/4096=0.9375. The number of SPs disabled is exactly proportional to the number of CUs. Unless they sell a 64CU card, they can't increase the SPs unless they sell the full fat card.
5. Why would they sell a 64CU card at say £800 when they can sell it for considerably more as MI60?

That's not to say they definitely wont but for this to happen they will need to start seeing very good yields (so fewer GPUs with up to 4 compute unit defects) and they need a significant surplus of MI60s unsold. So maybe if nvidia brings out a compute card that companies will purchase instead of the MI60, you'll see these come into the market.

Soldato
You'd thought AMD would learn a thing or two in the way they successfully undercut Intel and bring that experience over to the GPU scene, but NOPE :p

The way Nvidia inflating the pricing was a good opportunity for AMD to launch a counter attack, but instead they decide to be silly and smack 16 of HBM2 vram onto the bloody card and hugely increasing the cost, and end up having to pricing it up high making it looks like a joke even against the 2080 (which itself was already a joke comparing to the 1080ti's original price).

Seriously, what were they thinking and who the hell are they aiming this card at? I think most of us know as long as AMD can deliver a card within the spitting distance of 1080ti in terms of performance and price it at around £500, they will literally fly of the shelves.

But then again, I guess AMD launch this card for the sake of launching, and not really interested in selling them in reality?

Soldato
You'd thought AMD would learn a thing or two in the way they successfully undercut Intel and bring that experience over to the GPU scene, but NOPE :p

The way Nvidia inflating the pricing was a good opportunity for AMD to launch a counter attack, but instead they decide to be silly and smack 16 of HBM2 vram onto the bloody card and hugely increasing the cost, and end up having to pricing it up high making it looks like a joke even against the 2080 (which itself was already a joke comparing to the 1080ti's original price).

Seriously, what were they thinking and who the hell are theyaimming this card at?

As others have said the Vega 7 is an Instinct MI60 that didn't make the grade i.e 60 CU's instead of 64 CU's, And it's a lot easier to keep the memory design the same than to start cutting things off to reduce memory hence the stupidly high amount of memory.

Associate
Really disappointed with this card, almost 3 years and a die shrink later and no performance improvements over what was already available. It it was priced at $499 I'm sure everyone would be fine with it, but the price and power consumption is just silly.

I was hoping to upgrade to a reasonably priced Navi card with decent performance and power efficiency improvements. Now that NV supports Freesync I might have to jump ship.

Soldato
Really disappointed with this card, almost 3 years and a die shrink later and no performance improvements over what was already available. It it was priced at $499 I'm sure everyone would be fine with it, but the price and power consumption is just silly.

I was hoping to upgrade to a reasonably priced Navi card with decent performance and power efficiency improvements.

Now that NV supports Freesync I might have to jump ship.
To be fair, most of us already expected AMD won't be able to launch a card that can compete with the 2080ti, but only a card of 2080/1080ti level. That in itself is not really and issue for people that are not planning on spending more than £650 on a graphic card.

The biggest issue here with his card is the pricing, as it only offer performance on par as 1080ti and launching at a higher price than the 1080ti did one and half year ago.

IMO looking back at it now, the deals we have had with the Sapphire Pulse Vega56 at £299.99 and Sapphire Nitro+ Vega64 at £399.99 with 3 free games were really solid deals of the century in comparison.

Associate
To be fair, most of us already expected AMD won't be able to launch a card that can compete with the 2080ti, but only a card of 2080/1080ti level. That in itself is not really and issue for people that are not planning on spending more than £650 on a graphic card.

The biggest issue here with his card is the pricing, as it only offer performance on par as 1080ti and launching at a higher price than the 1080ti did one and half year ago.

I never expected AMD to release a 2080ti competitor, however for the price they're charging you would expect it to be. I agree that most people including myself were realistically expecting a 1080ti equivalent without the silly pricing.

Soldato
Having just looked at the AMD Instincts page the Vega 7 is a rebranded Instinct MI50.

MI50 specs -

Cores - 3840
Memory interface - 4096 bit
Memory size and type 16GB HBM2
Bandwidth - 1024GB/s
TDP - 300w

Vega VII specs -

Cores - 3840
Memory interface - 4096 bit
Memory size and type 16GB HBM2
Bandwidth - 1024GB/s
TDP - 300w

Last edited:
Soldato

That's not my issue with it. Pricing - yes, but not for the reason specified. It's more that they've fallen in line with nVidia's ridiculous overpricing scheme. If they'd priced it in the same vein as the Fury, or Vega, heck even the 295x2 (beast card) was priced $599 at launch.... it annoys the hell out of me that they're joining with nVidia in this dumb inflation...

Soldato
That's not my issue with it. Pricing - yes, but not for the reason specified. It's more that they've fallen in line with nVidia's ridiculous overpricing scheme. If they'd priced it in the same vein as the Fury, or Vega, heck even the 295x2 (beast card) was priced $599 at launch.... it annoys the hell out of me that they're joining with nVidia in this dumb inflation...
It's not exactly the same scenario though; Nvidia inflated the pricing while REDUCING the amount of vram to cut cost, while AMD (unwittingly) have to increase the pricing due using 16GB of expensive HBM2 vram (that gamers don't really need and with 8GB is still plenty).

Personally I think both additional of the Tensor Cores and RT cores on the RTX cards and the excessive vram on the Vega VII both serve no purpose on improving the gaming experience as a whole even by the time they reach EOL when the launch next gen of graphic cards launch. All they do is making the cards more expensive than needed to be.

Caporegime
It might end up only being £50 more than what you paid for your 1080 Ti in the end easy, if it performs the same then it will be funny as you are calling this silly, but you went on about your £600 purchase of a 1080 Ti like it was the best deal ever. Lol.

Yeah...I doubt it will come in a £650 but regardless of my silliness its still a new gen card that is the same speed as a 1080ti...:p

So it only goes to show just what a cracking card the 1080ti still is....:D

Soldato
Yeah...I doubt it will come in a £650 but regardless of my silliness its still a new gen card that is the same speed as a 1080ti...:p

So it only goes to show just what a cracking card the 1080ti still is....:D
The R9 290 series and GTX1080ti could well be the "8800GTX" of this decade in terms of bang for bucks and longevity :p

Permabanned
That is not the point.

I only posted the FP64 performance of the Titan V to show how weak your argument was.

This is exactly the point. 7-8% more FP64 performance for 4.29X the price.
I hope you are not using any of these, especially in CrossFire or SLi only to play games. :D

Soldato
AMD needed something to compete with Nvidia in the enthusiast end but Radeon VII is clearly aimed to fulfil the "were still competing" role for AMD. Anyone saying (incorrectly) that 2080 makes Radeon VII irrelevant or poinless are never going to be convinced that it has it's place in the market and is a viable alternative. I predict that once it is released Nvidia will drop 2080 prices to match or even undercut AMD and most people will purchase a 2080 in these circumstances. Nvidia only fans need not apply and would never have purchased an AMD part regardless. I think AMD woke up to this reality years ago when they stopped massively undercutting Nvidia at similar performance because it didn't matter to the uninformed.

AMD saw a way to make some money on salvaged parts and it will at least sell in some volume to acheive that goal. The fact it makes AMD competitive at the high end is a bonus.

Back
Top Bottom