• iPhone 8 Plus 256Gb

Votes: 18 7.5%
  • No, I won't be buying it

Votes: 150 62.2%

• Total voters

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Just been catching up on YouTube with the tech reviewers and the rumour mill seems to be quite strong with three new iPhones being on the agenda.

iPhone 7S
iPhone 7S Plus
iPhone 8 (Tenth Anniversary special)

If what the rumours suggest are true for 8:

5.8" OLED edge to edge Display
No physical buttons
Wireless charging
It will look like a single sheet of glass

I'm currently rocking a 64GB iPhone 6 which I bought outright on release and got a separate contract. I want to upgrade this year and if what the rumours are all suggesting are true I probably will buy it. I keep phones for 2-3 years. I'd decided this year I wanted to go for the Plus model (without knowing about the 8) and I don't think there will be much in it price wise between the 7S Plus 128GB and the 8. However I'll probably buy insurance for the first time ever.

Your thoughts?

Mod edit:

Link to Iphone 8 page:

https://www.apple.com/uk/iphone-8/

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I don't comprehend what a £1000 phone gives you that's worth the premium over, say, a £300 phone. From that standpoint, I tend to feel that to buy one of these you either need to have simply too much money, or something missing in your life that you have nothing better to do with your cash.

So no, won't be buying.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
OP
I don't comprehend what a £1000 phone gives you that's worth the premium over, say, a £300 phone. From that standpoint, I tend to feel that to buy one of these you either need to have simply too much money, or something missing in your life that you have nothing better to do with your cash.

So no, won't be buying.

While I absolutely agree that when you get to ludicrous pricing as £1000 for a phone as to what extra it gives you from say a £600 phone diminishes to minute levels. However for me my phone is the second most used thing after my laptop. I use it for several hours each day so investing money on something I enjoy using and will use for 2-3 years is worth it. Do I think if I bought a £300 Chinese phone instead of my iPhone 6 it would still be running flawlessly without any glitches 3 years later as mine currently is? I highly doubt it.

Soldato
I think I will, provided it's a big enough leap. Still rocking my 6+ launch day which I also bought outright. If it has edge to edge OLED, a new design, under screen fingerprint / other biometric and everything else is still stellar then yes. I would love if they offered a dual camera setup that was wide angle instead of zoom though, makes much more sense LG got this right at least.

Associate
While I absolutely agree that when you get to ludicrous pricing as £1000 for a phone as to what extra it gives you from say a £600 phone diminishes to minute levels. However for me my phone is the second most used thing after my laptop. I use it for several hours each day so investing money on something I enjoy using and will use for 2-3 years is worth it. Do I think if I bought a £300 Chinese phone instead of my iPhone 6 it would still be running flawlessly without any glitches 3 years later as mine currently is? I highly doubt it.

You have a valid point about the longevity of the iPhone. It will continue to receive updates from Apple for longer than most TP Android providers for sure. But Enthusiast support will extend the life of the phone well beyond that if that is your bag.

Soldato
£300 is my limit for any phone. I expect it to last me at least 2 years. Bought a Huawei P9 a few months ago replacing an iPhone 5 and so far so good. Apple can't really get away with charging so much when there are other fantastic quality models on the market.

Soldato
No chance. But then I splashed out a considerable amount on a 128Gb 7+... I'm in no rush to upgrade and even if I was, £1,000 for a phone would be nothing short of ridiculous. I don't mind paying a premium for Apple items but after the recent price rises, there's a premium and then there's taking the pee.

Associate
I doubt I will. Would rather spend a grand on pretty much anything else. Having said that if it completely blew everything out of the water with features then I might have a look but it is an obscene amount of money. Can't believe my texting or phone call experience would be that much better with it.

Associate
Too big, I switched from a Nexus 6p to a 7 and one of the reasons was that the phone was far too big, even for me with massive hands, and the 7 is just the perfect size for a phone. I won't be very happy if the only iPhone available at roughly 5" in size doesn't have all the latest and greatest tech.

V F

V F

Soldato
I doubt I will. Would rather spend a grand on pretty much anything else. Having said that if it completely blew everything out of the water with features then I might have a look but it is an obscene amount of money. Can't believe my texting or phone call experience would be that much better with it.

Inky black text. :D

Man of Honour
Personally only just got a 7 Plus, so I would need to wait until this contract is done in 2018. Unless they offer some kind of early upgrade, I'll be passing the 8.

I have to admit the even bigger screen size sounds good though. I like having lots to play with, without having something as bulky as a tablet.

Back
Top Bottom