• iPhone 8 Plus 64Gb

Votes: 31 12.9%
  • iPhone 8 Plus 256Gb

Votes: 18 7.5%
  • No, I won't be buying it

Votes: 150 62.2%

• Total voters
Soldato
So it looks as if we really are getting 3 new iPhones.

Assumptions:
The OLED one will have permanent black strip at the top which will go either side of the camera/speaker and stay black in landscape mode, so for all intents and purposes the display will always be rectangular and the same aspect ratio/res as current iPhones. Perhaps this means no white bezel models? Only thing that needs to be shifted is the time on the home screen, otherwise you'll just have the usual (carrier, signal strength/type etc). Having some weird assymetric display is not Apple.

Doesn't look like Touch ID will be on the back, good!

I'm curious as to how little they'll update the 7/7 Plus because this is obviously going to be the flagship model - extremely minor updates? Replacing the 7/7 Plus with the 7S/7S Plus at the same price point?

fez

fez

Caporegime
I'm still rocking a 6+ so I will probably upgrade this year. I doubt I will be able to resist the 8 if it has the OLED full face screen and a built in touchID. I'm a massive nerd though and a programmer so I can at least lie to myself that I need it.

As others have said, it will last a long time. I don't really need to replace the 6+ I have (apart from the fact I just broke the screen) as it runs really quickly still and does everything the latest one does apart from 3D touch. I nearly got a 7+ but after my new apple tech gland calmed down I realised that for the money it really wasn't that big an upgrade. I don't take a huge number of photos on my phone so the biggest upgrade would be wasted on me.

Soldato
I'm liking the look of the mock ups - Just curious to see what they do with TouchID. Obviously embedded in the screen would be the perfect scenario, but I wonder if they'll be able to nail that technology down.

I wonder if they'll put TouchID in the power button (Which is rumoured to be longer and moved to the right side of the device) - They just received a patent for this also...

Associate
Mock ups are really tempting, nothing on Android has really tickled my fancy this year.
Got my 7 last year but If the 8 is as good as its sounding then may have to pick one up depending on the £.

Hoping they have got the fingerprint in the screen that'd be great!

Need big improvements for battery though!

Soldato
Really on the battery? I'm certainly not against further battery improvements - a charge a week would be ideal for me. But my 7+ consistently lasts two days with reasonable use - far better than any of the previous generation of iPhones.

Associate
Yeah but I think it'll be £800. Had the original iPhone when it came out, can't believe it's coming up to 10 years. Feels like yesterday I was installing 1.1.1 to unlock it from O2. Regret selling it to fund a 3Gs

Associate
Really on the battery? I'm certainly not against further battery improvements - a charge a week would be ideal for me. But my 7+ consistently lasts two days with reasonable use - far better than any of the previous generation of iPhones.
I hear the 7+ is has good battery life.

But for my regular 7, If I leave it and dont use it standbys fine majority of the time.

Although when I'm actually using it, the battery life leaves a lot to be desired.
Rather meh in my opinion, defintiely doesn't last me a day.

Wouldn't say I do anything too strenuous on my phone but I guess we all have different usage.

xrs

xrs

Associate
I personally will not be purchasing the phone if it costs £1000. It will be another £1000 to spend when I inevitably break it!

Soldato
Looks like there are some out in the wild!

MacRumours have been checking the analytics of the devices visiting their website and some new resolutions have popped up with iOS user agents

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/16/iphone-8-web-analytics/

It looks like they're going to try and cram a 5.8" display into a package the same size as the current mid size 4.7" iPhone

When accounting for a function area at the bottom, that leaves a 5.15" display area.

Perhaps they'll drop the 5.5" iPhone Plus completely if they can get a 5.8" display into the current 4.7" chassis?

I wonder if it will be one large screen, or if the function area will perhaps use the same touchbar technology seen on the new Macbooks, perhaps that's how they can get the touch ID behind the display?

xb6zs8K.png

Soldato
A function area doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me as it'd waste quite a lot of space and you'd imagine there would be some hints of it in iOS 11? I think it'll be the other way round; the most legit looking leaks so far have been these parts which show that the top middle area of the phone is lost in order to make space for the front-facing camera and speaker, so it makes sense that this top 'band' will only display the usual carrier/signal strength/battery type stuff to the left/right and be blacked out when you're watching a video or something. This keeps the display effectively the same as the Plus and doesn't require any resizing of apps/UI elements, it just moves what's currently overlaid at the top to it's own little area.

To access the home button in an app is the conundrum though.. perhaps it'll involve Force Touch so you'll have to quite deliberately press hard and hold where the button is situated. Or maybe it will be on the back! It wouldn't matter to me if it was on the back as long as it wasn't too high up.

Soldato
Associate
I really hope it doesn't cost £1000, but I do want this new OLED iPhone. Currently on a 6S and had every single S model of iPhone so far.
I'll settle for it costing £900 providing it atleast comes with 64GB of storage. Might order two of them as from what I've been reading they will be in short supply.

Associate
Probably not, I have the 7 plus. If the price is similar to the 7 plus then I may consider it (or I may go for the 7s plus). It seems steep even if it costs more to manufacture (probably not more than $450 inc adverts,etc ).

Associate
I really hope it doesn't cost £1000, but I do want this new OLED iPhone. Currently on a 6S and had every single S model of iPhone so far.
I'll settle for it costing £900 providing it atleast comes with 64GB of storage. Might order two of them as from what I've been reading they will be in short supply.

Probably a wise idea, people always sell/ + are willing to pay insane prices on ebay around launch.

Soldato
No chance. Just managed to get Apple to replace my 6 due to a battery fault, so I'm good for another 2 years hopefully. That's £600 off the mortgage vs into their cash reserves. First time I've not upgraded after paying the phone off. Just don't see the need.

Back
Top Bottom