Win 10 1803 update causes boot loop issue with some Intel 600 Series SSDs

Soldato
Yeah, my boot drive is an Intel SSD and 1803 installed without any problems.

MS mentioned 'certain' Intel SSDs, but does not name them specifically by model. Windows 10 users with an Intel SSD, who already installed the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, are advised to return to an earlier version of their operating system.

That's rather worrying, guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that mine (I think it's a 180GB 330 series) isn't one of those affected

Hmmm...
For now, owners of those systems won’t get the update automatically and can’t start the update manually.

Does this mean that if you have one of the affected drives you won't be able to start the update in the first place?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Oh interesting - not getting a boot loop but I've got a system (trying to fix it for someone else), which does have an Intel SSD, which is doing a continuous loop trying to update to 1803.

Its high time they put back proper control over updates - at this point with all the issues its just being obnoxious and vindictive not to.

Soldato
OP
Its high time they put back proper control over updates - at this point with all the issues its just being obnoxious and vindictive not to.
MS outsourced a lot of this is why the lack of QA anymore. Using a 320 Series Intel SSD as my boot device no issues here had 1803 a week now its working ok for me. Just as well it working for me I removed the previous version backup to save 28GB of HD space! Would advise anyone with an Intel SSD to keep that older version for now & not run the system cleanup tool just in case!

Soldato
OP
Does this mean that if you have one of the affected drives you won't be able to start the update in the first place?
If it installs you are good to go but still keep the previous version just in case for now in case any other issues crop up. The update must check for SSD model number before deploying now but obviously this does not help anyone who early adopted last week!

Man of Honour
If it installs you are good to go but still keep the previous version just in case for now in case any other issues crop up. The update must check for SSD model number before deploying now but obviously this does not help anyone who early adopted last week!

Not sure if it has got past the point of any checks as the install was originally initiated a couple of days back I think not 100% on that. I'm gonna try and see if I can roll back to how it was before they tried updating and see what happens.

EDIT: Well rolled back and now looks like 1803 is blocked so meh.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not sure if it has got past the point of any checks as the install was originally initiated a couple of days back I think not 100% on that. I'm gonna try and see if I can roll back to how it was before they tried updating and see what happens.

EDIT: Well rolled back and now looks like 1803 is blocked so meh.
At least you could rollback...1803 does not really add anything much at all the menus have a slight transparent effect now is the only visible difference the rest is nothing you would even notice TBH!

Soldato
According to Hexus.net the affected SSDs are the 600p series and the Pro 6000p series, all M.2 80mm PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 format devices, released in the latter half of 2016

Man of Honour
I think its a wider range than just that - the system I was trying to update though it had an Intel M.2 device (or atleast NVMe) of some description I'm pretty sure the OS was on an older 700 series SSD - I didn't open it up to look though only went by device manager.

Man of Honour
Yeah dunno the ins and outs of it - the issue with the system was a bit different to that described but generally along the same lines - the first bit of the installer was looping rather than a boot loop.

Soldato
update 1803 also kills AMD gpus, updated 2 of my systems and they refused to work correctly (100% cpu use when it eventually gets into windows)

Also killed ATIFlash from working at all. Going back to 1709 as that works perfectly fine.

Man of Honour
Looks like additionally many Toshiba devices with certain SSDs suffer degraded battery life with this update - in some cases 10x higher battery drain than normal and random drive malfunction.

Back
Top Bottom