Win 7 Professional on a Netbook. Licensing question

Associate
I need to replace a dead work laptop. Spec wise a Samsung NC10 with 2Gb RAM is ideal, but I need either XP Pro or Win 7 Pro for the OS.
Firstly, are there any licensing restrictions using an OEM disc in the laptop? Secondly, considering XP Pro is about £100, is it possible to put 7 Professional on instead as its only £55 more? My guess is it would be as its the Retail pack right?

Soldato
Technicially the OEM license should be used only on a new build that you intend to resell. If you go with a boxed retail you will be fine.

If you buy a new laptop with Windows XP pre-installed, you can buy an Upgrade version of Windows 7 providing it is the for the same architecture i.e. 32bit XP > 32bit W7.

Associate
OP
I thought the upgrade was like for like only.. So XP Home to Win 7 Home premium, XP Pro to 7 Pro etc.
In my case I need the Pro, but rather than gofrom XP Home to XP Pro (or Vista Business) to 7 Pro, just go to 7 Pro in one step might be easier.

Associate
No, you can install win7 pro over xp or vista home, you will just lose all the data on the drive. Win7 home can keep the previous settings i think.

Top Bottom