Win 8 Task Manager is taking the...

Associate
So windows 8 pro 64 bit is working perfectly on my system.

Everything is smooth and quick apart from the task manager.

Whatever way I launch it. Usually Ctrl+Shift+Esc (but also both Crtl+Alt+Del + click and from task bar).

It can take a ridiculous long time to appear. I just timed one at 83 seconds. Normally its 40ish seconds.

I mean really? The task manager? I've never seen such a long start up without the rest of the system also being slow which is definitely not the case.

It doesn't bother me too much as I hardly ever need it open so have just stopped using it unless i need to...

But is there a solution? Any ideas? Thank you.

Soldato
somethings not right there. from me click task manager it takes less than 1sec to show.
when was last time you defraged hard drive might be worth a try?

So windows 8 pro 64 bit is working perfectly on my system.

Everything is smooth and quick apart from the task manager.

Whatever way I launch it. Usually Ctrl+Shift+Esc (but also both Crtl+Alt+Del + click and from task bar).

It can take a ridiculous long time to appear. I just timed one at 83 seconds. Normally its 40ish seconds.

I mean really? The task manager? I've never seen such a long start up without the rest of the system also being slow which is definitely not the case.

It doesn't bother me too much as I hardly ever need it open so have just stopped using it unless i need to...

But is there a solution? Any ideas? Thank you.

Associate
OP
yer don't get me wrong guys. on win7 it would launch almost instantly. i know it should be quicker. its just there is no obvious reason why it is slow for me on 8.

Chrome for example launches (with all extensions) in under 2 seconds. Hell I can be in game in crysis probably in the same time the task manager launches.

was wondering if there was a way of checking what the hell its doing while its not appearing or if there's some errors or wrong priority options.

(and yes hard drive is only 3% fragged atm. it is defraged after any large in/uninstall (eg most weeks for new games)

Associate
Do you have any HDD that may be entering powersave as it shows disk IOs etc... I'm wondering if you have a sata drive spinning up before it can read the performance data?

Associate
Task manager previously didn't show disk performance out of the box. If the HDD goes to sleep task manager may need it to come out of sleep for it to load its performance counters thus slowing the load of task manager.

Back
Top Bottom