Win 95 / 98 games and Windows 7 ?

Soldato
is itpossible to run PC games that were coded for 95/98 on a modern machine running windows 7 ?

I really want to get back into playing warzone 2100, but I can't see any updates / patches for it to make it win7 compatible. So is it possible to get windows 7 to still run this game through some settings in the launcher / windows or am i just of of luck ?

Soldato
Not saying this is a writen rule, but some of a very few games iv'e had no joy with in the windows 7 enviroment, have worked with old 'cough' stripped versions with different installation processes.

Recommend dual boot though, can be the answer to most problems if your hardware is savvy with it.

Soldato
Dual boot or resurrect a w2k computer, its the only way with some games (civ2 has descended to this as there is no other way to play the music of the cd and play the game)

Associate
Windows 7 XP mode doesn't really have DX support.
VirtualBox from oracle has some DX support but it's limited at best.

Dual boot is your best option.

i'm not 100% sure but WINE on Linux might help as that uses Windows APIs and some Dx features as well.

again, this all depends on the game.

Soldato
Windows 7 XP mode doesn't really have DX support.
VirtualBox from oracle has some DX support but it's limited at best.

VMware Player has decent DX support. I'm pretty certain its emulating the GPU on your CPU, so you'll need a fairly beefy one, but equally you're only playing Win 95/98 games so it doesn't need much grunt. I can play RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 through VMware player :)

Man of Honour
is itpossible to run PC games that were coded for 95/98 on a modern machine running windows 7 ?

Depends a lot on the game. If it is a Win98 game written for say DX7 or OpenGL then you have a fairly good chance, probably more so if it is Win7 32bit.

Some games from that era have some really crappy installers that check the OS version and refuse it install unless it detects win9x, but you may be able to get round this by manually 'installing' the game (copying files over etc).

One problem I have encountered with old games however is when it comes to detecting available resolutions etc, sometimes they fail.

Soldato
I used to play a lot of games in a Win98 virtual machine. Anything I tried to play was fine when I was running it on an Athlon 3500+ with a 7800GTO. In fact a lot of them ran too fast sometimes....

I think anything that needs Win95 or Win98 will be fine on a modern machine in a VM

Soldato
Its been a while since I used the XP Mode, but I'm pretty certain that it didn't emulate a GPU, so couldn't handle anything running DirectX.

So how does that work, does the GPU emulation hand off to the GPU in the actual host machine or is it purely emulated on the (virtual) CPU?

EDIT: On an unrelated note, that looks good actually - I didn't realise that Player supported the virtual networking part and was free! I need to build a VM environment for some SPLAT boxes so that does me a favour!

Last edited:
Soldato
Actually, has anyone tried the MS Virtual XP machine for Win7, I presume that will run most of these old games OK?

I tried to get it to work for civ2 but it cant emulate a cdrom pass through properly, so the music didn't work/the game wouldn't run at any acceptable speed :mad:

I don't have a copy of xp, 2k or 98 to had to test it in any other virtual machine though so just gave up and got an old laptop out...

Back
Top Bottom