Soldato
Hi guys

So I'm building a new PC...
R5 3600 CPU
nVME SSD
X570 Board
RX 5700 GPU

All the newness.

Thing is, I love Win7 and have strong feelings of dislike for Win10, but my friend told me I should bite the bullet and change as Win10 is more 'optimised' for modern tech.
Doing some googling about the subject and it seems that people are saying the machine will basically be crippled going with Win7, so wanted to ask the experience of the fine folk on OCUK.

I don't really care about the stopping of security updates from 2020 onwards for Win7, but if I'm losing performance and will also encounter driver/software issues going forwards, I'd like to know.

What ya think?

Soldato
I still think Windows 7 is the superior OS, however with only about three months of security updates left I can't say you really have a choice anymore. Plus you're going to struggle to get drivers for your board - I have a B450 one and not everything works on Windows 7. So of those two, you're stuck with going for 10.

Soldato
OP
:(

But Win7 was sooooo good !!!

Damn.... I guess it's time to put the ole girl out to pasture.
After all, Win10 is the final version of windows ever now, right? It's just gonna be updates from here on out, so I guess I'd better get used to it.

Soldato
Windows 10 for sure, I've never had an issue with it and neither have the vast majority I would think, remember you will only ever hear from the people with issues and some people are just unlucky I reckon :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree that W10 is almost a requirement now due to 7 losing updates soon, but W10 is not as good as 7. It inturupts me in the middle of games to tell me I have an update...at which point I have no control in the game it interrupted and I crash into a wall. (Project Cars 2)
It once gave me the electronic middle finger when I was trying to troubleshoot a problem and load a driver from the manufacturer...not because it was suspected malicious or anything...just because windows 10 decided it was already using the driver it wanted to use.
I have had multiple forced updates result in "windows is attempting to repair..."

I still have two 7 machines, and neither of them have the issues my three W10 machines have.

Oh, and the media viewer in 10 is clunky, unintuitive crap.

Soldato
W10 because..........................
stickerline-elsa-let-it-go.png

Permabanned
I agree that W10 is almost a requirement now due to 7 losing updates soon, but W10 is not as good as 7. It inturupts me in the middle of games to tell me I have an update...at which point I have no control in the game it interrupted and I crash into a wall. (Project Cars 2)
It once gave me the electronic middle finger when I was trying to troubleshoot a problem and load a driver from the manufacturer...not because it was suspected malicious or anything...just because windows 10 decided it was already using the driver it wanted to use.
I have had multiple forced updates result in "windows is attempting to repair..."

I still have two 7 machines, and neither of them have the issues my three W10 machines have.

There is the option to turn notifications off? !

There is absolutely nothing in Windows 7 that is better than Windows 10.
That conservatism in consumers is ridiculous...

Caporegime

I have never had Windows 10 interrupt any game I've been playing to tell me about an update. I suppose it could do that if you have it set to notify you but then who's fault is it?

Soldato
the best of both worlds (7+10)/2 ~ 8.1 ,
it does depend if you have to buy a license though, if the one you have is a legally transportable retail 7, and you will be get a free upgrade to 10;
if not I'd consider (am considering) retail 8 which would allow me to upgrade to 10, later, too.

Permabanned
I have never had Windows 10 interrupt any game I've been playing to tell me about an update. I suppose it could do that if you have it set to notify you but then who's fault is it?

I had multiples "The driver has stopped responding and successfully recovered" which resulted in games freezes, throwing me out to the desktop and ruining my experience. All with Windows 7.
None of this has happened so far with Windows 10.

Soldato

Windows 7 required no such action from me. I would have preferred windows 10 didn't either.

This isn't complicated. Windows 7 has not given me the problems Windows 10 has.

W10 updates regularly come with news stories of what the latest update has broken *this time*.
https://www.google.com/search?q=lat...oid-sprint-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Then there is the shady "sign in with a Microsoft account" spam when installing W10.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ho...etup-now-prevents-local-account-creation/amp/

It didn't have to be this way. My experience with 7 is far better than 10.

Soldato
So let me get this right, you think having the choice is a bad idea?

The default is apperantly to bust in like the Kool-Aid guy.

That's a bad idea.

I have used pretty much all the MS OS's. I don't have a generic "conservatism" attitude toward new OS's. Vista sucked. XP was fine but 7 was better. When I installed 8 on my mom's PC, I was unimpressed but also not particularly put-off by it.

So I'm not new OS-averse, but 10 has been particularly annoying where 7 simply wasn't...and still isn't.

Permabanned
The default is apperantly to bust in like the Kool-Aid guy.

That's a bad idea.

I have used pretty much all the MS OS's. I don't have a generic "conservatism" attitude toward new OS's. Vista sucked. XP was fine but 7 was better. When I installed 8 on my mom's PC, I was unimpressed but also not particularly put-off by it.

So I'm not new OS-averse, but 10 has been particularly annoying where 7 simply wasn't...and still isn't.

Vista was fine, the problem that it had was the very high system hardware requirements.

I don't know why you are not annoyed that Windows 7 sucks particularly bad in the department that it doesn't support modern hardware, everything you name it - Ryzen CPUs, high-DPI screens, DirectX 12, numerous new peripheral devices.

Back
Top Bottom