Win7 install to used SSD

Associate
Rebuilding my system with new mobo and SB CPU this weekend.

I have a Crucial c300 64GB SSD and would like to know the best way to reuse this.#

Do I need to format or erase prior to installing Win7 or do I just carry out a new install as normal?

Associate
Yeah I would use parted magic to do it, it involves downloading parted pagic iso, then burning it to CD (or uSB pen drive) boot from it and then use the secure erase progam on menu within parted magic.

It might tell you that the drive is locked, in which case you have to disconnect the power cable to the drive (whilst leaving the PC on) and reconnect it, then try again and it should be unlocked, it's really easy and the secure erase will put it back into factory condition. good luck!

Soldato
Secure erase it (takes a few seconds) then install Windows 7 to the drive. Do NOT manually create or format partitions, just install to the raw drive space and let Windows 7 do everything automatically.

Associate
im going to be installing win7 pro again but on a new ssd, let me get this straight, just hook up ssd, change to AHCI mode in bios and then install windows without partitioning?

What about speed deterioration? - I read about disabling defrag...and anything else to prevent it?

Back
Top Bottom