Windows 10; 8gb of 16gb RAM Hardware reserved; Why?

Associate
Hi guys, really hoping you can help me sort this little problem!

My PC has been running for years without problem, but my lightroom library is getting a little larger and was struggling with the 8gb ram, so last week I doubled it to 16gb. Immediately, the RAM was visible and all of it was usable in windows, but it crashed quite frequently, so I assumed therefore I had a problem with the ram settings.

I tried a couple of things but couldn't solve the problem, so I ran the MemPerfect application integrated into the bios. Ran it overnight at 10 x 3 cycles. It reported no faults in the morning. However; since then, half of the RAM is showing as "hardware reserved" in windows and I no matter what I try, I can't get it unlocked now.

Hardware:
Asus Maximus III Formula
Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.6ghz

RAM info
All of the RAM is Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9) (See here)

However, the original two sticks must be older revisions, because CPU-Z reports the following differences:

Original, older memory:
S2.jpg

New memory:
S1.jpg

CPU-Z Shows this under the memory header (Currently manually set in BIOS)
CPU-Z-Memory.jpg

But windows persists with half of it being reserved:

Hardware-reserved.jpg

Steps I've taken to attempt to fix the issue
  • Confirmed I'm running 64bit windows 10!
  • Checked bios: memory remap is enabled
  • Checked no memory is reserved for integrated video
  • Checked windows reliability centre
  • Ran "diagnose your computers memory problems" from windows
  • Updated bios to latest version (2202)
  • Ran SFC /Scannow - initially reported some fixed problems and advised restart. Subsequent scans report no problems detected
  • Swapped the pairs round in the DDR slots
  • Tried in single channel mode (by not matching the pairs in the paired slots)
  • Tried running based on 'auto' latency settings
  • Tried running on manual 9-9-9-24 settings
  • Tried running on XMP profiles
  • Tried running on 3 different integrated overclocking profiles
Any other ideas would be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance!

Associate
OP
Further notes:

I've just tried running the system with just the 2 new DDR sticks and had the same problem.
I've then ran it with just my old sticks and DID NOT have the same problem.
Tried to boot with one of the new sticks on it's own - no problems.
Tried to boot with the second new stick on it's own - system won't even post.

Assume I've got a crappy stick?

Will run MemTest from a USB on the pair of new sticks and post update.

Associate
OP
Have you tried this: run msconfig, go to 'boot' tab, click 'Advanced options' and make sure 'Maximum memory' is unticked.

Forgot to mention; yes I did this too; it was already unticked.

I've replaced the sticks today and the new ones are fine; putting the whole thing down to a bad stick.

Soldato
I've replaced the sticks today and the new ones are fine; putting the whole thing down to a bad stick.

Yes faulty memory can sometimes do this, I've seen it a few years ago on Windows 7 and DDR2 system. Computer ran just fine yet a huge amount of hardware reserved was showing, was a faulty DDR2 stick.

Back
Top Bottom