Windows 10 and Wifi AC

Soldato
Ok, got a Windows 10 box which needs to be connected by Wifi (ideally I'd connect it to the wired network but it's not in a convenient place to do so). I don't want to use powerline networking.

Ideally use the 5GHz band but the problem I'm having is seeing what adapter to use. Practically every model I've looked at has turned up driver nightmares when trying to use it with Windows 10 with Windows updates breaking connectivity being a frequent problem.

Does anyone have any thoughts on models which just work? ... or would I be better getting something like a BT AC1200 WIFI Extender which has a wired port and linking the machine to that so I don't have to worry about Wifi on Windows at all (i.e. just use it as a Wifi bridge) ?

For reference this would be connecting to a BT Smart Hub (Homehub 6)

Soldato
OP
Trouble is this is not a laptop ... I need USB (or PCIE, or a Wifi bridge) to go with a desktop system ... and literally nearly every model you search for gives bad tales of having to track down generic drivers with things breaking on 1709 and 1803 ....

Soldato
Have you actually tried an adapter yet? Or are you just going on stories from the internet? Many, many, many people (myself included) had issues after the initial Windows 10 update but even then it did work after a bit of messing about. I’ve not heard of any issues recently with Windows 10 WLAN so personally, I would give it a go.

Back
Top Bottom