Windows 10 - Battery (Plugged in, not charging)

Associate
Hi,

Pretty much as title.

My Dad bought a new laptop (HP Pavilion 15) just over a week ago and a few days ago it now shows when the power is plugged in "Battery plugged in, not charging"

I've googled and tried to apply the fix found a few times but to no avail. That fix being uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery and scanning for hardware changes afterwards to reinstall it.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and manged to either find the cause/fix?

Any help or ideas most welcome as I'm not too sure what else to try.

Man of Honour
There are two versions of that fix BTW - one simply to force a reinstall of the ACPI device the other (which I've had to use before) requiring a longer version of the process though I don't recall details off the top of my head.

Associate
OP
There are two versions of that fix BTW - one simply to force a reinstall of the ACPI device the other (which I've had to use before) requiring a longer version of the process though I don't recall details off the top of my head.

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully someone else will know or recall the longer version of the fix for me to try. The short one didn't work for me.

Soldato
Had it recently on an HP G250 - said wasn't charging. The centre pin is used as a control signal not the actual charging. - the two poles for charging are on the outside and inside of the main part of the charging plug.

Associate
OP
Just had a quick look and can see a pin, a thin one at that, but I have no reference as too how long it should be. Certainly doesn't look damaged, anyway to check, or can I only do that with a different cable/charger?

DAS

DAS

Associate
I had a similar issue a few weeks ago. I tried the first fix you tried but that didn't work, but it did when used in conjunction with shutting down and removing the battery, though I cannot recall the precise procedure. If you google it, then you may come up with the one that works. The problem has resurfaced again, but that may be a result of tripping over the power cable causing the laptop to fall!

Associate
OP
Problem is that this model of laptop hasn't got a removable battery, which is a royal pain in the ...

Unless I can find a suitable fix for it I think it'll be a trip back to the purple shirt brigade and either swap it for another, or better still a different make.

Associate
OP
Quick question regarding this problem...

Am I correct in thinking this is a Windows 10 issue and not specifically a HP & Windows 10 one?

Man of Honour
It is a Windows issue not specifically 10 - my Windows 7 laptop did it out the box until I did the fix - it isn't brand related though some brands for some reason seem more susceptible to it than others.

Associate
It may be a feature, not a bug. Some laptops have a mode where if the laptop is left plugged in for a certain amount of time and/or is above a certain battery level, it will provide power to the laptop without charging the battery. This is supposed to be to improve the health of the battery by reducing "wear". If this is the case, and you always want it to be charging when plugged in, you might be able to disable this in battery settings/power management in the control panel or some preinstalled software.

Associate
OP
It may be a feature, not a bug. Some laptops have a mode where if the laptop is left plugged in for a certain amount of time and/or is above a certain battery level, it will provide power to the laptop without charging the battery. This is supposed to be to improve the health of the battery by reducing "wear". If this is the case, and you always want it to be charging when plugged in, you might be able to disable this in battery settings/power management in the control panel or some preinstalled software.

If this is the case, and it does make some sense, then I'd like to see where these settings are.

It raises the question, when does the laptop get charged? I mean how low does the remaining power in the battery need to be? From memory I think my Dad's is currently at 33% and I'd expect that to be low enough to get it charging.

Associate
If this is the case, and it does make some sense, then I'd like to see where these settings are.

It raises the question, when does the laptop get charged? I mean how low does the remaining power in the battery need to be? From memory I think my Dad's is currently at 33% and I'd expect that to be low enough to get it charging.

I'm not familiar with hp laptops, but maybe try within Power Options in Control Panel, or if there is a battery/power tray icon. Or maybe one of the apps in the start menu.

Soldato
The other thing is that some HP laptops won't pass on some charging info to Windows. I've just received a Pavilion 14 today and I'm trying to work out its various intricacies.

There's an option in the BIOS which allows you to change the "Battery Remaining Time" which is described as:
This item enables or disables the reporting of battery remaining time from the BIOS to the operating system. If disabled, the operating system displays battery life in a percentage only.

I'm not saying it will sort it out for you, but its worth a go.

Soldato
As zzJohny said, my sony vaio used to have an option, in their dedicated s/w, to limit battery charge and prolong Lion battery life.
HP Stream tablet I have, when on a USB charger always reports not charging, but the %charge creeps up nonetheless, I think the current
the usb delievered was not sufficient to register.

But - if your HP is never reporting charging or showing %charge increase when plugged in, if you have been using it detached, then take it back during
the golden period before the men in purple protest you have had it too long.

Soldato
Hi,

Pretty much as title.

My Dad bought a new laptop (HP Pavilion 15) just over a week ago and a few days ago it now shows when the power is plugged in "Battery plugged in, not charging"

I've googled and tried to apply the fix found a few times but to no avail. That fix being uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery and scanning for hardware changes afterwards to reinstall it.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and manged to either find the cause/fix?

Any help or ideas most welcome as I'm not too sure what else to try.

I had that exactly same issue with my sister's refurnished HP Pavilion 13 2 in 1 laptop 2 years ago when she turned it off while it gone through installed windows updates before she went to bed but next day she found it would not booted properly. She asked me to installed free Windows 10 and hours later I noticed laptop used 2 batteries with tablet battery 1 plugged in, charging but keyboard battery 2 plugged in, not charging. Tried all methods included uninstalled Microsoft ACPI and restart PC to get battery 2 charging but it not helped so I googled it, surprised many people had exactly same issue on HP forum. I discovered a workaround I never thought about it when I found it fixed by unplugged power cable while it charging from laptop keyboard power port and then plugged power cable back in power port and Windows 10 battery notification showed battery 2 plugged in, charging. Hours later I read from 1 guy said he opened the keyboard base found the battery 2 and power port wire loose so he taped on battery and power port wire to made it firmed and not loose then battery 2 plugged in and charging properly everytime he used laptop. After read his post I decided to opened keyboard base and put tapes on loose battery and wire to stopped it loose and then battery 2 plugged in and charging properly after tested power on and off laptop 3 times.

It seemed the issue is due to shoddy HP assembly job during production.

Hope this will help you. :)

Associate
Had the same problem on a HP Pavilion 15, tried all the fixes to no avail. I have 3 other spare batteries which all worked fine. This particular battery was showing almost empty and refused to charge. So gave up, split the battery pack, removed the 4 18650 batteries (Lg h2 I believe). Detagged and put them on my battery analyser and found out they were actually nearly fully charged... 8 Months later with regular use in other kit, working fine. Can only assume it was a problem with the in-built controller.

Just too add, all packs are genuine HP not clones

Back
Top Bottom