Windows 10 force updating graphics drivers recently, can cause problems

Soldato
Just a heads up. Was playing a game when it crashed and Reliability History showed the culprit was a forced graphics driver update. Which is unusual because I last updated around a month ago, so not that long ago. Searching for news about this brought up mentions from others about it too, and another OcUK forum member had issues with his SLI and custom BIOS setup after the same forced update. So if graphics issues are experienced, seeing if they coincide with a forced graphics driver udpate (it won't tell you it happened unless you check for it) is one thing to investigate.

Man of Honour
Some 3rd party tools like DDU try to prevent it and if you have a version of the OS which supports group policies you can use GPEdit to change the behaviour - though it isn't 100% reliable and/or can be overrode by future updates, etc.

Yay I get yet another excuse today to call out how ******* bad MS's design lead is on this OS.

Soldato
OP
As above, there's not really any easy way to prevent this. Best way is to update to the latest WHQL driver if possible before Windows does it itself.

I knew Windows 10 would do this if the driver was very out of date. What you recommend is what I'd been doing for a couple of years, and all had been good. But I know I updated only a month ago, and yet it force updated soon after. Looks like updating will be required as soon as a new driver comes out, at this rate.

Associate
Can't you just turn on metered connections for ethernet and WIFI and then update using windows mini update tool to give you full control? I do this and am never bothered with any updates. This way I choose what and when to update.

Man of Honour
Can't you just turn on metered connections for ethernet and WIFI and then update using windows mini update tool to give you full control? I do this and am never bothered with any updates. This way I choose what and when to update.

In 1706 metered connection functionality changed - somewhat the description updating to match functionality but they also widened the scope as well:

"Available updates will be downloaded and installed automatically, except over metered connections (where charges may apply).
In that case, we'll automatically download only those updates required to keep Windows running smoothly."

In my experience it is no longer reliable for blocking problematic updates and in some cases still downloads upto 70% of available updates.

MS when no doesn't mean no...

Soldato
OP
Not only did it push the driver, but it pushed the worst NVIDIA driver I've ever seen.
At what point do NVIDIA tell MS not to push a driver?

I think it is totally irresponsible to not only push but perform the update in the middle of whatever you're doing, even playing a game with GPU maxed out. I can't imagine that is 100% safe for the health of the GPU, and wouldn't be surprised if it caused damage to some.

Soldato
In 1706 metered connection functionality changed - somewhat the description updating to match functionality but they also widened the scope as well:

"Available updates will be downloaded and installed automatically, except over metered connections (where charges may apply).
In that case, we'll automatically download only those updates required to keep Windows running smoothly."

In my experience it is no longer reliable for blocking problematic updates and in some cases still downloads upto 70% of available updates.

MS when no doesn't mean no...

It seems like disabling updates permanently is the only way forward. Then turn them back on or do a clean install when a new release comes out. You'll only be up to 6 months behind on security which is nothing compared to most Android users. :p

Soldato
With all the posts about issues on W10 I'm glad I have stuck with windows 7.

W10 has a habit of installing what it thinks is better.

V F

V F

Soldato
Some 3rd party tools like DDU try to prevent it and if you have a version of the OS which supports group policies you can use GPEdit to change the behaviour - though it isn't 100% reliable and/or can be overrode by future updates, etc.

Yay I get yet another excuse today to call out how ******* bad MS's design lead is on this OS.

I hate this feature. It is a crap OS man and things can decide to change the setting.

Soldato
Though windows 10 has been doing this since the start, i believe this is the most aggressive it has been with it so far. It's forcing the install of 388.13 which was released about 3 weeks ago.

Like OP mine updated in the middle of a game of PUBG which full crashed my computer. Furthermore without a driver hack my monitor doesn't work in windows so I had to cancel boot three times to get access to safe mode, uninstall the crap windows installed and manually update to 388.31

Soldato
I've had my sound card drivers updated by windows 10 at 3am. Because my Soundblaster Z has different sockets for speakers and headphones and you have both plugged in at the same time, you use the software control panel to switch between them. I was using headphones but the driver update reset everything so sound started blaring out of my speakers full whack.

At least I'm now back on 8.1 where it's a more sensible optional update.

Acz1TU0.png

V F

V F

Soldato
Though windows 10 has been doing this since the start, i believe this is the most aggressive it has been with it so far. It's forcing the install of 388.13 which was released about 3 weeks ago.

Like OP mine updated in the middle of a game of PUBG which full crashed my computer. Furthermore without a driver hack my monitor doesn't work in windows so I had to cancel boot three times to get access to safe mode, uninstall the crap windows installed and manually update to 388.31

It has been happening to a lot of twitch streamers.

Man of Honour
I've had my sound card drivers updated by windows 10 at 3am. Because my Soundblaster Z has different sockets for speakers and headphones and you have both plugged in at the same time, you use the software control panel to switch between them. I was using headphones but the driver update reset everything so sound started blaring out of my speakers full whack.

I was warning about this stuff ages ago in the Windows 10 thread and getting all kinds of **** for it from 2-3 people. It is (or was haven't checked lately) the top 3 items on the feedback hub on the insider thingy but ignored by MS in favour of the feedback below that which fits with their vision.

V F

V F

Soldato
I was warning about this stuff ages ago in the Windows 10 thread and getting all kinds of **** for it from 2-3 people. It is (or was haven't checked lately) the top 3 items on the feedback hub on the insider thingy but ignored by MS in favour of the feedback below that which fits with their vision.

Imagine rendering or working in Photoshop or the likes then it happens.

Man of Honour
In theory it is supposed to detect activity - in practice doesn't quite work so well. The software for my oscilloscope for instance won't stop Windows 10 from restarting itself for updates, etc. so I can't reliably use it as an OS for that as there is a good chance if I leave it going logging that Windows 10 will interrupt it.

Back
Top Bottom