Windows 10 laptop, booting to black screen.

Soldato
I wonder if anyone can help on this.

I have a Toshiba C670/C6700 that will sometimes boot to a black screen, when this happens the only way to return to windows is to hard power the computer off/on and sometimes the computer will reboot with the screen showing.

The laptop is running Windows 10 Creators edition, however it has also happening on all other previous versions of Windows 10. Windows 7 incidentally it worked fine. The laptop uses a sandybridge generation Pentium CPU, it only has built in 'HD graphics'. It's definitely graphics driver related as if I remove the HD graphics and substitute with Windows 10 generic VGA driver then the problem goes away, the generic VGA driver can't be used however as it's performance is to slow. I've checked on Toshiba's own website and listed for this machine is only Windows 7 drivers.

Can anyone shed any light as to what could be happening, or how to resolve.

Soldato
OP
Hi Orcvader, it's been doing this on all versions of Windows 10 from very first to creators.

Have done at least 3 clean installs.

Have turned fast start up off in past (made no difference) but not tried it on creators.

Associate
I have this on a Dell laptop, no amount of changing drivers seems to work, it only happens when there is a W10 update. A workaround for this is to simply close and open the lid and then it just works. Two HP & Compaq laptops it works flawlessly though, All came with W7 and were upgraded to W10.

Back
Top Bottom