1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 Pro suddenly reports not being activated

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Orcvader, Nov 8, 2018 at 9:50 AM.

1. Orcvader

Capodecina

Woke up this morning to find out my PC is suddenly not activated. I tried going through the troubleshooter and but it runs into an error and can't reactivate itself. I tried re-entering my product key but it says it can't be used on this copy of Windows. The even stranger thing, it says my digital licence is a 10 home licence. However, this key has been a working 10 pro licence since 10 was released, and was previously a retail Windows 7 Professional copy which was even bought from OcUK back in 2010.

I tried going through the phone options but so far it's been useless. I'll probably try again later but I'm struggling to get an actual person to talk to. Has anyone else seen this happen?

EDIT: Looked on Reddit, seems I'm not the only one with this issue and it could be a problem with the 1809 build, it's the only thing I can see that we all have in common: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/9v4hs7/windows_10_cant_be_activated/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/9v6ibm/windows_10_pro_suddenly_not_activated/

EDIT 2: A little more reading some 1803 users are also affected. Definitely seems like Microsoft messed up something on their end so will give it a couple of days to see if that fixes it. Managed to get the right options to finally talk to a person on Microsoft support, but was held for over half an hour so had to hang up to get to work.

EDIT 3: Someone managed to get through, and seems Microsoft has acknowledged they have an issue with the activation server so they're working on it: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/9v6ibm/windows_10_pro_suddenly_not_activated/e9a5rkk/

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ctivated/fe9a4ecf-2e2a-491d-a43e-b010c316d1c4

Final EDIT:

They seemed to have fixed it. Run the troubleshooter and Windows should be activated again.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 10:48 PM
  2. Elevon

Mobster

Same problem for me as well, see how long that takes to be fixed.

3. ree

Hitman

same here.

4. Punt

Wise Guy

I was on a chat with microsoft for about half and hour early this morning. They fixed it for me but didn't say what's causing it.

5. something daft already!!

Mobster

Same here. I rebooted and it was fine. I'm on 1803.

6. ree

Hitman

i already tried that it was first thing i done but didn't work unfortunately. am on 1809.

7. Punt

Wise Guy

1809 for me too.

8. pcfarrar

Hitman

I just reinstalled a machine at work using our Windows 10 Pro volume license and it activated ok and then shortly afterwards came up with the error saying it's a Windows Home license...:rolleyes:

9. Orcvader

Capodecina

I rebooted which got rid of the message on the desktop, but in Settings and the activation section it still says I'm not activated.

10. Quartz

Soldato

11. something daft already!!

Mobster

I'll check tonight.

12. dessimpson

Wise Guy

Happened to me too.

13. HEADRAT

Capodecina

Me too, I upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro.

14. Dr.Eddie

Mobster

Same here, 1803.

Isn't Windows 10 great! :p

15. Rroff

Man of Honour

Haven't used a Windows 10 device all day - gonna boot one up now see what happens...

16. fredx

Associate

Same, 1803. Wasted the last few hours trying to fix. Almost bought a new copy lol. My pro copy is oem from overclockers and I registered here specifically about this. Working fine for 3.5 years.

Hopefully it resolves itself.

17. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

Same here - thanks for the info!!

18. Dirk

Wise Guy

19. edscdk

Soldato

I assumed once activated that was it... Seems to me to be the prelude to renta windows.. I don't see another reason to keep checking the activation state..

20. Rroff

Man of Honour

No issues on any of my installs but looks like they've deactivated the activation servers or something. For a wonder the first time I've started up in forever and not had the OS start chugging away preparing for or doing updates but maybe related to them doing stuff on the backend to sort this dunno.