Windows 10 - Safe Mode on Asus Motherboard HELP!

Associate
This comes up a lot and usually, I just type msconfig/Boot tab then go to advanced and select safe mode.

On this occasion, I cannot do this as I have a black screen so I cannot enter Win10. I have tried the usual suspects F8 etc.

The problem has been caused because I was trying to get the Task Manager to show my two processors on my Asus Z10PE-D8 WS Motherboard.
I entered the system Configuration/Boot Advanced options and changed the number of processors and the maximum memory to their highest amount.
For whatever reason, the system did not like this so, on reboot, I now have a black screen. If I can get into safe mode hopefully I can change this back.

Any Ideas as to how to enter safe mode without entering the win 10 1st?

Thanks

SM_zps9qjo7kr4.jpg

Associate
If the boot drive is an SSD then it's likely that the system is booting up too fast before it acknowledges the key press (have you also tried it whilst holding the shift key).

You should be able to get into safe mode by going into the BIOS and selecting the second boot option for the boot drive and then select troubleshoot then startup settings and then click the restart button, and once it reboots to the startup settings menu you press F4 for safe mode.

The only other ways you can gain access to safe mode if that isn't possible is through a recovery drive or windows 10 install media.

Associate
OP
If the boot drive is an SSD then it's likely that the system is booting up too fast before it acknowledges the key press (have you also tried it whilst holding the shift key).

You should be able to get into safe mode by going into the BIOS and selecting the second boot option for the boot drive and then select troubleshoot then startup settings and then click the restart button, and once it reboots to the startup settings menu you press F4 for safe mode.

The only other ways you can gain access to safe mode if that isn't possible is through a recovery drive or windows 10 install media.

Thanks for the advice. It is a Samsung 960 EVO Polaris 500GB M2 card that it boots too. Tried holding the shift key with no joy. Could not get into the bios either. In the end I reset the PC as I had only installed a couple of programs and it was quicker than trying to figure out what the issue was.

So it is back up and running, but I have now added a second monitor which on boot up it does not like as it gets stuck at this point ...

Asus_zpsrmueysdr.jpg

Looking at the manual "B2" is Legacy Option ROM Initialization if I am reading it correctly.

If I start with one monitor on and the other off it boots up ok, I then can turn on the other monitor and with the software loaded it works ok as I dual setup, but when I shut down I have to start with one monitor on again for it to boot.

Associate

Windows 10 has a feature called fast startup that is enabled by default, it won't allow you to get into safe mode with a keypress.
How to disable that without being able to enter into windows itself though i'm not too sure.

For more info see - https://uk.answers.acer.com/app/ans.../~/windows-10:-enable-or-disable-fast-startup

Associate
OP
Windows 10 has a feature called fast startup that is enabled by default, it won't allow you to get into safe mode with a keypress.
How to disable that without being able to enter into windows itself though i'm not too sure.

For more info see - https://uk.answers.acer.com/app/ans.../~/windows-10:-enable-or-disable-fast-startup

Hey thanks. It's good to know. It worked for me all be it different. Now if I press F8 I can change the boot order which is a help in the future. Don't really care if it takes longer to close/boot if it means I have some keyboard function.

Back
Top Bottom