Windows 11 upgrade - Yay or Nay at the moment?

Soldato
My main gaming machine is an HP Omen gaming laptop i7-10750H with a 2060 full fat GPU. It's been nagging me for a bit to upgrade to Windows 11. I've read a few reviews of W11 and so far it appears to be a mostly positive reception it has received, but I wondered what folk thought about doing so just now? Has anyone here went to W11 and seen no real issues with their normal gaming activities?

Or would it be prudent to hang fire until the first big W11 patch in a month or two? I'm thinking I might dual boot to try it out for a bit. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Soldato
Some people have an upgrade by default motto, for me its do I have a reason to upgrade, if the answer is no, then I usually dont do it.

If you are someone who can tolerate large UI changes (some of us are sensitivie to these things), and you have that itch, then by all means upgrade, no major issues have been reported, but might be a good to do an image backup of OS drive first just in case.

Soldato
OP
Thanks folks, appreciate the replies. For those who have went to W11, have you done an 'in place' upgrade and overwritten your W10 install or did you do a clean install using Rufus or similar? Ta.

Soldato
done am upgrade worked flawlessly no issues didn't even realise it was upgraded until i saw the new taskbar

i hit start & watch half an episode of only fools & horses saw it rebooted & was complete.

every app works no issues with drivers etc

my w10 install was around 3 months old (due to 5900x upgrade)

after using W11 I couldn't go back to using W10...

everything is just nicer, easier & faster to use

Soldato
I have done one and it was oh so slow, I think there was/is an issue with Ryzen chips, cannot say I particularly like it as I was quite happy with the layout of 10. Removing alk the bloatware that Microsoft seems to love these days is a pain. Think I will wait a while before upgrading my main rig.

Associate
Updated my laptop to try some development features, but going to wait 6 months before I upgrade my main machine. That should be enough time for an initial patch and any driver or BIOS updates to stabilise.

J.D

J.D

Soldato
Depends, are you still rolling with a VHS Player because you don't see any benefit moving to DVD/BluRay?

Horrible analogy because if that was the case, I'd care enough to move on to w11, atm, I don't care and the performances I get atm are fine.

Like Mesai above, I'll wait some time and jump in later. There's no game I need a few extra FPS to be playable if I were to even get a boost in the games I play.

Back
Top Bottom