Windows 11 upgrade - Yay or Nay at the moment?

Associate
no if you play games its been proven to be 5-15% slower on lots of games

until thats sorted not touching it with a bargepole

Associate
Not according to Hardware unboxed.

was going from release week

as for upgrading think I will give it a year or so everything is running well at the minute and dont want to upset the applecart

can see no benifits in upgrading for now

Last edited:
Soldato
no if you play games its been proven to be 5-15% slower on lots of games

until thats sorted not touching it with a bargepole

Not sure about Intel but with Ryzen there was an issue that was fixed with a Windows update and chipset drivers. I moved over to Windows 11 when those were released and I've bot seen any performance decrease in the games I've played

Soldato
I upgraded to Windows 11 out of curiosity, it seems fine. I was using Startisback before Win 11, I'm glad to see it supports Win 11 as well, much better layout.

As for performance, I honestly haven't noticed any difference in games or otherwise. I guess my overall verdict for daily driving is it's fine, nothing to write home about one way or another. I guess as more features are utilised it may become more noticeable.

Specs for reference:

5900X
32GB RAM

Soldato
I'd been having black screens after the update when launching games. Could hear the sound, and could get back to desktop with some Ctrl alt del, but something was clearly up.
Moving down an HDMI cable sorted everything out.

Perhaps the cable was damaged in a way that wasn't impacted by Windows 10, but that's seems a little unbelievable. Cable also works fine on another PC (Linux Mint) with the same monitor.

Caporegime
ROFL - MS has no idea nor cares what "improvements" and "quality of life" experience means. I just wish there was a real viable alternative so as to get shot of this ****.
Not sure who else would want to get into the OS business, for x86 PCs anyhow. I expect Windows to the be pretty much the only game in town in my lifetime. As incumbents go, it would take something really earth-shattering to unseat Microsoft and Windows. All these years later and Linux still has <3% of the market.

Soldato
I'd been having black screens after the update when launching games. Could hear the sound, and could get back to desktop with some Ctrl alt del, but something was clearly up.
Moving down an HDMI cable sorted everything out.

Perhaps the cable was damaged in a way that wasn't impacted by Windows 10, but that's seems a little unbelievable. Cable also works fine on another PC (Linux Mint) with the same monitor.

Hmm, do you have 2+ monitors? Also, when you open the game do you switch to the other monitor sometimes whilst the game launches?

Soldato
Put my laptop back to Windows 10, much smoother experience. It's a messy OS Windows 11, I'm always one for new OS, I went to Windows 8 as well as 7 probably 6 months before launch, only ever rolled back on Windows 11.

Soldato
I will probably upgrade eventually, but I wish Microsoft had kept their promise and just kept improving Windows 10 and not made any new versions of Windows. Why they've done it and made it exclusive to a select set of hardware is beyond me. It seems pointless and counterproductive.

Soldato
I did an upgrade (not fresh install) from Windows 10 to 11 and have not had anything bad to report at all gaming or other use case wise. Small improvement in Warzone FPS as well :)

(Running a Ryzen 5800x and RTX3080 on a B450 platform)

Back
Top Bottom