Windows 11 upgrade - Yay or Nay at the moment?

Soldato
People I know had a lot of trouble with the TPM requirements, USB issues, some networking issues etc.

Although I never saw the awfulness of W10 personally, never had any issues on 10 - until an update broke our Dev machines because they broke local HTTP requests.

TPM 2.0 isn't a Win 11 issue, it's a requirement that most people don't understand or know how to enable. There's also a workaround for those that don't have TPM 2.0

Associate
TPM 2.0 isn't a Win 11 issue, it's a requirement that most people don't understand or know how to enable. There's also a workaround for those that don't have TPM 2.0
Maybe not an issue with Windows per se, but it's one of the things which has made the upgrade path more difficult than necessary for a lot of people, seemingly more so in the Ryzen circles.

I'll likely go to 11, just when you lot have tested it for me first :cry: seen too many people in other communities suffering.

Associate
'Upgrade' install for me, a few weeks ago now. Updated my BIOS to latest at the same time.

Works great, really liking it actually. Boots much faster, seems snappier overall, all my games and apps work, and seem to perform just as well if not better than W10.
A positive upgrade in my eyes.

Caporegime
TPM 2.0 is enabled via the BIOS if supported. A lot of the manufactures released a BIOS update that enables it for you.

Yeah I know what tpm is, just.makes me giggle why it's actually needed for an OS to be 'functional'

Enabled an equivalent in the bios but it still doesn't like the CPU, I'm loathed to do a complete wipe. Maybe on my next upgrade

Last edited:
Soldato
last i heard Oculus PCVR does not like it so it is a hard no from me. that said, half my oculus titles refuse to install anyway and it is taking for ever for oculus to fix, so maybe not much different either way :/

Soldato
Upgraded one PC but to me there were a lot of changes for changes sake and nothing more, really not interested in having to learn where Microsoft has moved stuff to. Clean installed 10 and will not be upgrading until I have to.

Associate
Just looked at specs regarding the windows 11 is right that you need to be running 8th gen intel processor i am on 6th and probably do not want to swap out just yet.

Don
Just to add some balance - there is pretty much no reason to install 11 yet (coming as someone who has installed it on my laptop), the majority of users on here seem to have to install some third party apps to be able to get back the functionality they want from the taskbar/start menu.

Personally I'd wait for the first big update (22H2), it will likely polish the experience further and allow a bit more flexibility that currently isn't there

Soldato
As said you can bypass the TPM and compatibility checking
Seen it installed on old core duo CPU etc
Definitely some stuff still needs fixing
Whether it affects you personally will depend what
You do on your pc, what software you use etc
Shadow of the tomb raider stuttered for me
To the point of being unplayable for example

Back
Top Bottom