Windows 2008 R2 Hyper V opinions

GiB

GiB

Associate
Hi guys

Just wondering if its worth using the hyper v with windows server 2008 r2.
Anyone using it already?
I have a Dell Poweredge R710 with 4tb of storage 12gb ram and 2 quad core cpus.
Is it worth slapping this on there and having say a dc, fileserver, applications. Will be running in a school so money is very tight.
Again any opinions on a good setup for a network in this regard would be helpful.
Could I transfer the new dc etc to a new server in 3 years time etc.
How badly will slapping a few vms be. Our current server never breaks a sweat and thats only 2 single core cpus.

Cheers

Gib

Pete

Soldato
We are using it.

Yeah you could happily run all those VMs on the server (and more). But this would be a single point of failure. Hotfixes to the Hyper-V server would mean restarting all trhe VMs etc. You might be best to install the Core or Standalone Hyper-V, as it would require less maintainance.

Ideally you'd have two servers, so you can move the VMs around and have some redundancy.

Associate
Likewise, just beginning to deploy R2 in anger, will shortly be setting up G6' in failover cluster, hopefully on EMC DMX but possibly Celerra using iSCSI.

Associate
We are setting up on our HDS FC SAN. See how it goes!

Have heard lots of support guys bitchin about HDS 100 Sans recently. And the exact words of the engineer who installed it were "I wouldn't want to be supporting this crap!"

Just a warning - I don't work in storage, just seen a lota problems in the last month!

Back
Top Bottom