[Windows 7] Do the W7 install disks contain all product versions?

Soldato
Hi guys,

I'm putting together a new system for my brother as he heads off to uni, I have a few copies of W7 Home Premium on pre-order but don't have the media yet obviously.

Through work I could get hold of Windows 7 Enterprise and Windows 7 Ultimate (sans keys, I could get keys but it wouldn't be legal to use work's keys). In Vista if you didn't enter a product key on install it would ask you what version you have purchased so you can enter the key later.

Does this apply in 7? I was hoping to install it key-less now and then give him the key once my pre-orders arrive. I've tried with the Enterprise disk but it gives me no options to select a version. This could be because Enterprise has always been a bit different in licensing and activation to other editions.

Associate
I think only the ultimate disks have the option to install multiple versions but by changing a file already on the disk. But wait for someone to confirm this first

Soldato
I dont recommend using MagicISO to mod the iso, use PowerISO instead. When I used MagicISO it kept giving errors during install.

Soldato
OP
Well I couldn't get hold of the Ultimate ISO in time in the end so went with the 90 day Enterprise eval. Just in case I did try to 'mod' the Enterprise disk but it doesn't want to play nice and won't provide me with a version selection screen.

When the time comes I will either install one of my Home Premium Pre-orders or see if he can get it for free under MSDN:AA or similar.

Back
Top Bottom