Windows 7 Impressions

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Anyone else finding their net slowing right down occasionally since moving to W7?

Here's what im getting now

Usually it's about 6,500 download minimum.

I'm having the same issue.

Updated ethernet drivers, disabled OpenDNS, re-booted router and still having the same problems.

The wifes PC opposite me is having no problems at all. :confused:

Even disabled error reporting to no avail. Anyone else having the same issues?

Klo

Klo

Soldato
How do you install this??

I d/led the ISO, changed the bios to booting from disk, it said it would loading Windows, up came a blue background screen with white text in the bottom right saying Windows 7 7000 or whatever it says. However nothing else comes up , it just stops there, and the DVD drive goes quiet. The mouse cursor appears and responds, but there is nothing to click.

Associate
used vista since day 1 of release and loved it installing this today in about 30 mins compared to vistas 1 hour and i am even getting a better system preformance with win 7 :O 5.3 and i was shocked to see the 32 bit showed my 4gb members as "4" so far if microsoft don't screw this up it might be good :D

Wobbler

Associate
found a fix for the internet speed issues

goto taskmanager file and run then type in cmd

then type this in

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

seemed to work for me. Aprt from the net issues which now seem to be sorted i'm very impressed with windows 7 so far, i havnt had i t long but everythign seems to be working fine and all my games seem to be working, even older games like quake 3 still work.

I really like the look of it and the new task bar is very handy.

Caporegime
Which one do you think Windows 7 final release by 2009 or 2010? I would think it would begin of 2010 rather than 2009.... dont you think?

By christmas 2009, or expect the gift voucher free upgrade things like with Vista. MS wont be stupid enough to miss another holiday season though.

Associate
How do you install this??

I d/led the ISO, changed the bios to booting from disk, it said it would loading Windows, up came a blue background screen with white text in the bottom right saying Windows 7 7000 or whatever it says. However nothing else comes up , it just stops there, and the DVD drive goes quiet. The mouse cursor appears and responds, but there is nothing to click.

give it a while, mine took quite a while before anything came up.

give it like 5mins or so.

Soldato
I'm going to set up a partition on my 12" notebook to install W7. It's a Merom-core Celeron 1.7Ghz laptop, with 1GB RAM, am I likely to see better performance with the 32 or 64bit version?

Associate
I'm going to set up a partition on my 12" notebook to install W7. It's a Merom-core Celeron 1.7Ghz laptop, with 1GB RAM, am I likely to see better performance with the 32 or 64bit version?

I'd just stick to the 32bit version tbh. I got the 32bit version as Samsung never released 64bit drivers for Vista and the only thing I'm missing is SM Bus Controller. I love the new taskbar, already used to it and see a general feeling of refresh over Vista (which I loved too).
Performance is great too on my Samsung Q210 lappy. Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, 3GB RAM, 320GB HD and nVidia GeForce 9200M GS graphics.

Associate
I have this installed on three of my machines, one of particular interrest might be the Latitude XT. Seems quite nice to use on the revised UI and even though this laptop has a 1.2GHz ULV it runs very smooth, but then Vista did an admirable job on this laptop aswell. So far one blue screen but to be expected.

Someone asked earlier if Kaspersky was safe to use and I can confirm that it certainly appears to be fine for me, although I am getting a few issues with it not reporting its status to the windows security centre.

I am also running a windows home server aswell, all of the machines have connected without any issue and have been recognised by the server as being Vista Ultimate Operating systems.

Also my main PC with TV cards etc in it that acts as a media centre host for the xbox attached to the TV seems to be working very well, no issues with setting up the extender at all. Slightly revised UI on media centre which is a little nicer. One big issue with this though, I seem to be getting mcGlidhost.exe crashes which VS just-in-time debugger is catching. I have reported this issue to MS, Im led to believe that im not the only person suffering from this issue either. Also gaming seems to be very good aswell, I have no idea of any performance differances but CoD runs as slick as ever!

Overall so far very impressed, seems to be incredibly stable for a beta! I thought Vista was a great OS and Windows 7 looks like it will offer further improvements!

PS one other little issue I have just noticed while writing this is that IE8 is not redrawing text correctly as I scroll up and down this input box!

Back
Top Bottom