Windows clock keeps getting out of sync

Soldato
My windows clock keeps getting out of sync. I have reset it a few times by going to date and time in settings and flicking the set time automatically timer on and off which forces it to sync. However it always reverts to being out of sync again.

This is a bit of a nuisance as a couple of times I have stayed up 30-40min later than intended!

I recently switched from Microsoft Avast for antivirus, and could swear that this has only started happening since then. Is this likely to be the culprit?

I am referring to a desktop. I have heard that CMOS battery can sometimes be a cause of the issue. My motherboard is about 6 years old. The time drifts of out sync whilst the computer is plugged into the mains though, so i was assuming that the battery couldn't be responsible.

Man of Honour
It'll more likely to be something dodgy going on with the internet time (NTP) server. Someone else had an issue a while ago and changing this setting in control panel sorted it.

I'd point your NTP settings at a pool, see this website. to http://www.pool.ntp.org/zone/uk

You can get to your NTP settings in control panel > date and time > set time and date > internet time.

Soldato
It's more commonly a bios battery issue since almost no-one touches the default time settings on Windows.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom